Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKay,

it's a Mauser, has the bent bolt, it's in 8x57 (8mm Mauser?) and has the metal piece on the back of the buttstock. The barrel looks like it's probably 85-95% and it has a dark brown wood stock. The barrel is not as long as my Turkish mauser was, and the rifle is in much better shape.

The bolt seems to be stuck from dried cosmo, and I need to take it apart and give it a really good cleaning. It's all matching as far as serial number goes, unlike a Yugo 7x57 that also is for sale at the same location.

While the stock DOES have the metal butt plate, it does not have the metal circle in the middle of the buttstock. But I think it does have the sling slot? I may be confusing things...

The front sight post is hooded, and the bluing is between 90-95%

I'm getting it for $110 out the door.... any advice? Comments? Suggestions?

I'll try and get some pics after I bring it home next week and post them...

·
Registered
932 Posts
Mauser

If yiu get it let us know. It might be a German 98a or a Polish clone. Might even be a G 33-40 but I am probably thinking wishfully RETREAD

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Some Yugo K98k's, M48's, M48A's, and M48B"s have dark stocks. The heavy cosmo is a clue. Anyway, should be worth a "C" note. Let us know what you get! DDR

·
Registered
216 Posts
Quote:
------------
it's a Mauser, has the bent bolt, it's in 8x57 (8mm Mauser?) ........
------------

The question mark after the 8mm Mauser indicates to me you're not sure if the 8x57 is the same as an 8mm Mauser. The designations 7.92x57 and 8x57 both mean that it is an 8mm Mauser cartridge.

Yeah, the action alone (if in good shape) is worth $110.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sounds like an M48 to me. Something else to look at is if the handguard stops in front of the rear sight (k98) or goes around the sides and behind it (m48). Either way, it looks like your getting a deal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts