Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would it be feasible for a Gew98 stock to have been fitted with a sling slot in front of the takedown disc? I think it still has the Lange-Vizier (sp) sight on it. What would the story be on a matching bringback with this feature?

See post below for update... this description above is not accurate...

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
Sounds like the stock, if not the entire rifle, might have been a retread ala kar98b.
Does it have a Bent bolt with a bolt handle cut out?
My 1918 Erfurt KARa/az has the side saddle sling arangement, so they DID know how to do it pretty early.
No idea why they would leave the lange sight on, but if the serial numbers are correct, then no worries mate!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
If it is matching/original, and you say Gewehr98 style rifle with sling/bolt cutout & Lange rearsight- I think Radfahrer which is way cooler than a Kar98b..

Of course that is a lot of if's.. could just be a Gew98 action in a 98b stock or worse..

Would it be feasible for a Gew98 stock to have been fitted with a sling slot in front of the takedown disc? I think it still has the Lange-Vizier (sp) sight on it. What would the story be on a matching bringback with this feature?

·
Gold Bullet member
11,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update!! What is this?

Okay, here's some more details.

This was brought back by a guy from WWII, given to the guy I got it from years ago, sat in a closet ever since.

It is a 1910 Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf Gew98 that was later rebarrelled with a K98 barrel and with a K98 rear sight - not Lange-Vizier. No import marks anywhere. Still marked Gew98, not Kar98, etc.

The good: Action is all matching - receiver, bolt, shroud, safety, cocking piece, bolt release, floorplate, triggerguard, triggerguard screws. Nice laminate K98 stock in good shape for it's age, flat buttplate. Eagle/swastika on the wood, would be pretty clear after a gentle cleaning. Bolt still straight.

The bad: Missing handguard and bands, K98 barrel not matching, someone cut off the bayo lug a long, long time ago. No rod.

I had thought it was a original Gew98. Now I've got a neat piece, but a restoration project nonetheless.

Interestingly, no swastika on the K98 barrel nor anywhere on the metal, that I can see. Would this imply it was done earlier in the 30's?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I would think this was a bolt matching Gew. 98 that was rebarrelled after it came into the states. If it was a legit German Gew. 98 to K98k conversion, the replacement stock and barrel would have been numbered to the receiver, and the bolt would have been turned down. The Germans seemed to put quite an emphasis on the turned down bolt, as they did this to many of the Gew 98 converted to 98b specs, and they didn't go to the trouble of rebarrelling those. IF the Germans had taken time to rebarrel and restock this rifle, they would have turned the bolt.

runner

·
Gold Bullet member
11,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Runner, that would make sense. I can only surmise that the information is correct. This was given to the guy by an old WW2 vet who brought it back. But, who knows if there is some missing info.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are some pics... I really don't need another restoration project, though.

Turns out the bore is quite nice, just needs a good cleaning. Has a large eagle/swastika mark on the butt, with a small (inspection?) WaA under that. Hard to see in pics, but it's visible to the eye.

I suppose it could be a good shooter.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
It is not an early rework because those all had the long Gew 98 bbl/98k rear sight rather than the later K98k bbl. What proofs are on the bbl & sight assy?
The stock is from a 1938 or later Berlin Lubeker or Borgiswald rifle. If it has a cupped butt plate then it is from a 1940 or later Borgiswald. Either way Not native to that rifle.
I agree that it would appear to be something that was converted after it was brought home. Maby the stock was bad and someone didn't like the long bbl for hunting???
Sarge

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
This rifle was never even issue. It's commercially proofed through and through and was at one time a wehrmannsgewehr. Obviously when it was brought home the 8.15x46R was not readily available and maybe nobody thought to rechamber to 32 win spl. So it got rebarreled and the extractor replaced , as well as the furniture. It's a shooter.

PS - the handguard lip has been removed from the rear sight base as well...it likely was in the remnants (sportered) of it's original stock.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Okay, here's some more details.

A) would be pretty clear after a gentle cleaning. .

B) The bad: Missing handguard and bands, K98 barrel not matching, someone cut off the bayo lug a long, long time ago. No rod.

C) Now I've got a neat piece, but a restoration project nonetheless.

D) Interestingly, no swastika on the K98 barrel nor anywhere on the metal, that I can see. Would this imply it was done earlier in the 30's?
ANSWERS :

A) What do you mean/intend by "gentle cleaning" ???..... that sentence scares me.Original finish wood needs to be left alone.

B) You bet original wood is long gone , as well the handguard lip on sight base has been removed.

c) Not really restorable unless you find a wehrmannsgewehr that has a butchered receiver or a loose 8.15x46R barrel and an extractor to go with it.

D) No swas on barrel - it may not even be a german barrel , whatever was on hand when bubba "upgraded" it way post war.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts