Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
26,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had an FN late 1940's K-98 trainer, with the Israeli crest on the reciever. .22 in the stock. Good condition; what is the approoximate value for this rifle? Any idea on how many were imported a few years ago? Thanks for any information.

Thanks for the info, fellas. Mine looks like raul's. The wood is darker, though.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,612 Posts
the general information about this IDF K98's is that they were manufactured around 1948 and the batch procured by the IDF was of 1000 units-Can not be precise on its price, but its an uncommon piece, it should go for no less than 400 bucks, I've got three pieces bought in Paris/France ten years ago.Below a pic of mine=

·
Registered
19 Posts
Israeli Cal..22 trainers

The last importer, here in Sacramento, sold the last ones for $395.00 maybe 2-3 years ago now. Sometimes you also find the light barrel models made in Israeli using the surplus Remington 500 series barrels that they had by the pallet. These still have the Remington info on the barrel. The FN made ones generally sell for much more than the Remington barrel models. None of the Israeli ones were in as good of condition as the Belgian ones sold maybe 10 years ago. These trainers are very good items as they do not turn up all that often now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
K98 Israeli .22 trainers,

2000 were made, First 1000 went to South Africa. The other 1000 were to Israel, There were built as single shots from the ground up. The K98 with the Remington barrels were converted from 8mm rifles from a different contract. The one I bought years ago had great looking metal and finish, But the stock was dinged up and oil soaked. I like to take out along with my No. 2 Enfield for shooting with my buddies. There were a few threads about them but are gone now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I take both my Israeli FN .22 K98 and an Enfield No2 MkIV to the range I can play Axis and Allies for $1.00 a box. Rorke's Drift on the cheap, too, with a Greener-converted ME AC (born a M-H III in 1879) in
.22. Lotsa fun for $10/brick. Starts many an interesting conversation as well.

·
Silver Bullet member
738 Posts
Having collected military trainers for many years I have seen two of the Mauser conversions using Remington barrels. Neither one had import marks. Difficult to find, the FN is not.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've seen several of the IDF K98 .22RF trainers with the Remington barrels, but none of the Israeli FN K98 trainers except for this one that was for sale on the net at AuctionArms.com. I got it for $350.00 plus shipping:

It shows a lot of use, especially the wood as cary said, but the bore is excellent and it shoots just fine.

LDHare

·
Gold Bullet member
2,612 Posts
LDHare, dont worry about the looks of the wood in you rifle, the ones I bought were a mess, their wood was painted green-After cleaning and degreasing the wood in my guns look fine

·
Registered
107 Posts
Raul: It sounds like yours were a little worse than mine although I like mine just the way it is since it shows obvious evidence that it was used for it's original intended purpose, and it provided this service for lots, and lots of Israeli trainees. I wonder what stories these rifles could tell if they could talk :)

LDHare

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I've got an FN late 1940's K-98 trainer, with the Israeli crest on the reciever. .22 in the stock. Good condition; what is the approoximate value for this rifle? Any idea on how many were imported a few years ago? Thanks for any information.

Thanks for the info, fellas. Mine looks like raul's. The wood is darker, though.
################################
In 2003 AIM Surplus had 40 of them(with IDF Crest).Price was $518.00(Total with S&H).
http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=312318&sort=7&thecat=998&password=

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
I got one from the Old Sac Armory about three years ago. It was so nice, my roommate made arrangements to get one as well. We each paid $300. He had his re-parked and the stock done professionally, and it is the nicest rifle I've ever seen.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,612 Posts
Amtraker, you are right, its a high quality piece-Mine were restored by an old italian stockmaker I have and they look solid and magnificent, when the guns arrived from France I thought the damage done to the wood was irreparable, but the proffesionality of the guy brought them back to life-

·
Registered
51 Posts
Israeli 22 Mauser

I have one of the Israeli M1930 .22 trainers in VG condition with the Israeli K98 sling. In the Mauser Military Rifle of the World by Robert W. D. Ball lists the Mauser .22 trainer for Israel as M1930, and the Belgium .22 Model manufactured in 1952 as Model 24/30.
I have a minty Model 24/30, and just received a complete stock and metal in Exc+ condition.
The receiver and stock are marked with the serial number. So someone just butchered a really nice 24/30 to make a target rifle or sporter.

I don't have pictures of them but I can if someone wants to see them.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,612 Posts
Albayo, pics here are of great utility for all of us, because in some lines, like Military Trainers, so little has been written that we also learn from comparison and observation of each other pieces-Speaking of the FN K98 IN 22 I also have one made in 1952 for the belgian armed forces, stamped ABL 1952 and the initials of the King,color is parkerized grey/green

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,380 Posts
I have been looking for one of these for years and years to help complete my Israeli collection. I have yet to even see one for sale.

Anyone want to part with one??????

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re. Rem conversion trainer, any leads on finding a firing pin for one of these rifles? I'd be delighted to even get drawings for same, as I could then make one up by hand. That's all that's keeping me from using the rifle I have, a beautiful specimen otherwise. I didn't notice the firing pin was missing when I bought it, then when offered a refund, decided to keep the rifle anyway, it having been a monumental bargain. Would love to convert it from a wall-hanger to a shooter.

Like your MGA also; had a 57 1500 coupe for five years back in the sixties and drove it across the country twice. Never had so much simple pleasure out of a car.

Thanks,

JR

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was just getting into Mausers when we had a local gun show about 3 years ago. One table had one of these 22 rifles that looked just like my K98 and was in really nice shape like a new gun. I didn't know much about them and didn't spring for it. I kicked myself for not buying it. And still kicking. He said it was an Israeli trainer. $100 Since then I have bought quite a few Mausers, but have never found one of those again. Still kicking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts