Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need help with this one. I have an all matching sniper 98k with 135WaA markings and all proofs are present plus includes the WaA with a H on the stock. It has no bolt takedown on the stock and has grooves manufactured in the forearm. I bought this from an estate sale and it has no import markings and a leather scope case with matching numbers the same as the rifle. Have you seen this before? All original patina never touched or refinished. I have included some photos and this is my first posting so hope it works. Please help with any knowledge you may have and a value if you know it.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Well, I am sorry to have to give you the bad news that you do not have an all original sniper. You have something put together from parts post war.

First off the stock is an Isreali post war replacement stock. So if the stock has WW2 German markings they are fake.

The rifle is a BNZ coded rifle as evidenced by the eagle over 77 stampings on the right of the reciever and bnz in a shield on the barrel, and as such would not have WaA135 (byf manufacture) coded sniper mounts. The scope looks to be a WW1 vintage scope...possibly a Gerard. But again, wrong for a WW2 sniper.

As for value... it is mostly only valuable for the sum of its parts. Maybe $1000 - $2000 depending on condition of the parts.

As you have now learned, the world of WW2 German sniper rifles is a dangerous market. Fully 90% of all claimed snipers for sale are in fact fakes or reproductions.

·
Silver Bullet member
8,002 Posts
Hey VaughnMauser 1-2 thousand bucks is alot better than $250 LOL..A WWI scope sounds like a real winner as well!

Can you post pics of the Stock markings? if their not original it would be good to see them for reference

·
Copper Bullet member
543 Posts
As you have now learned, the world of WW2 German sniper rifles is a dangerous market. Fully 90% of all claimed snipers for sale are in fact fakes or reproductions.
And since many genuine snipers are bought and semi-permanently taken off the market while bubba is hard at work churning out more fakes, the percentage you quote is probably already worse than that, and likely to climb north of 99% before long.

As for this piece, I'm about the furthest thing you could find from an expert on 98k snipers and it doesn't look kosher even to me. That said, the "ouch" will depend on what was paid for it. I guess the consolation is that at least the rifle isn't worth so much you can't take it out and have some fun shooting it!

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
In looking over the new pictures and the original pics, I see a bit more. The original reciever serial number has been ground off and re-numbered. The trigger guard has also been re-numbered, and as mentioned the stock is post war, so the markings there are also post war.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
WOW!!!!! all these ppl on here and YOU come up with 1-2 K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok stock is post war Isreali, scope is NOT even close it a POST WWII made about 1948-50 scope it has a aluminum body and rail milled off and is the 22mm scope body. the focus ring has been removed and is now the rear split ring. split ring cobbled to mate with some metal made bases. the rings appear to be 26.5mm with shims added to make the scope tube to its needed 26.5mm. barreled receiver is bnz, the ENTIRE RIFLE is a completely re serialed. FAKE stock proofs FAKE E/135 plastered all over the place. let me RE-state 50 scope now HEAVILY altered, 100 bolt altered, the rest 50 action D&Ted, alll other parts altered 50 as is its a 250.00 rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok maybe 300 forgot about sling.

later
vaughn

·
Copper Bullet member
543 Posts
WOW!!!!! all these ppl on here and YOU come up with 1-2 K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok stock is post war Isreali, scope is NOT even close it a POST WWII made about 1948-50 scope it has a aluminum body and rail milled off and is the 22mm scope body. split ring cobbled to mate with some metal made bases. the rings appear to be 26.5mm with shims added to make the scope tube to its needed 26.5mm. barreled receiver is bnz, the ENTIRE RIFLE is a completely re serialed. FAKE stock proofs FAKE E/135 plastered all over the place. let me RE-state 50 scope now altered 100 bolt altered the rest 50 action D&Ted alll other parts altered 50 as is its a 250.00 rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok maybe 300 forgot about sling.
Excellent and expert assessment, but for better or worse the "$250 rifle" part is at best half right. That might be the most an informed collector would pay for it, but if one put this pile of... parts on Gunbroker it would be revealing to see what the market would bear. And my guess is that a consortium of competing id-jits would bid it up to at LEAST 600-800.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
WOW!!!!! all these ppl on here and YOU come up with 1-2 K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...it is mostly only valuable for the sum of its parts. Maybe $1000 - $2000 depending on condition of the parts.
Vaughn99 - I did leave myself an "out" on the figure, as noted in the bolded portions above. :) Frankly (speaking to both Vaughns here) I wrote the value after NOT looking at all of the first pictures. At the time, I really did not think a full look was needed as it was obvious it was a hose job. Had I looked at all of the pics I certainly would have adjusted my estimate...most certainly for the scope problems....Missed that completely. Vaughn99 is most right...this is far worse than I first thought... and he and PK 637 I think are both right. An experienced collector would not put much money into this.... 200 maybe... but trolling it at a show or sold online it might bring 600 or so....

·
Registered
424 Posts
You know, I'm not sure what the purchase price was for this rifle/scope combo or what the owner wants to do with it. It might actually shoot well and he can use it as a deer rifle for a few years, but, more than likely only for a few years. Everyone who has given advise has been correct. Vaughn99 is an outstanding scope man and from reading his prior post i know Bill in Indiana knowns K98 snipers. However, this isn't that. I have gone over the H/T bases and I think they might be leget ( and at the same time I don't think they were silver soldered onto the rifle, this is why I don't think it could last as a deer rifle). I think ( but who knows for real) that if broken up and if they are leget you might get $250.00 for the scope bases on ebay. However, please remember the finish on these is near gone. As for the rest of the rifle, well break it up and let's see what the market will bear.

Anyway, lot's of luck with her and of course, best regards

J. strunk

·
Registered
728 Posts
You know, I'm not sure what the purchase price was for this rifle/scope combo or what the owner wants to do with it. It might actually shoot well and he can use it as a deer rifle for a few years, but, more than likely only for a few years. Everyone who has given advise has been correct. Vaughn99 is an outstanding scope man and from reading his prior post i know Bill in Indiana knowns K98 snipers. However, this isn't that. I have gone over the H/T bases and I think they might be leget ( and at the same time I don't think they were silver soldered onto the rifle, this is why I don't think it could last as a deer rifle). I think ( but who knows for real) that if broken up and if they are leget you might get $250.00 for the scope bases on ebay. However, please remember the finish on these is near gone. As for the rest of the rifle, well break it up and let's see what the market will bear.

Anyway, lot's of luck with her and of course, best regards

J. strunk
Hi John
Thought it would be a good Idea to post some Pics for all to Compare an Original Set of HT Rings and Base look like for comparison .Also wanted to point out that the Bases of the Turrets Mounts were not Silver Soldered but was actually Soft Solder which many make this mistake when stating how these bases were attached . Hope Pics help clarify the differences of Original and Ones Shown in Earlier Post. Best Regards

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts