·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got this today.

front

back

side

inside. i had a very tough time arranging the blocks of wood so the cutouts lined up right, this is the only way i could make sense of the arrangement, so it would hold one set of rifles facing one way, and the other set facing the other way.

there is what appears to be some sticker someone put on the front, and some screws in the top i am not sure of... but they are VERY OLD rusted flat head screws, ( 3 of them ) and whoever put them in there, did it decades ago.

any comments / questions or opinion on value would be appreciated.

·
Silver Bullet member
31,837 Posts
I have one a buddy picked up from AIM surplus a few years back. Fortunately he got the correct internals.

I use mine for storage of various things in the collection, unfortunately, Mosin 91/30s and SMLEs are a bit too long. Great for vintage rimfires through

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Cool Soviet Block k98 crate. The internals can be a puzzle sometimes. I have one for Soviet 44's one for 91/30's and k98's in the cave. (all different lengths, and internals) Great for storage of stuff and make nice benches to sit on or prop your feet up on.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I got one for the 91/30s , russian writeing, old ruberized cork seal at the rim of the lid and lined with oil paper. It has 2 bayonet holders but I havent realy figured out how they fit in there yet . Mine holds 20 91/30s. I fill it up every RK gun show and national KC show. It realy draws the crowd in. Its like a feeding frenzee once some one starts to shuffel thru it a second person wants to look, then a third. I have had them staked up with 4473s inhand wateing in line to buy one. Then it goes calm for 30 mins and starts all over again.

I would like to see one filled with K98s

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Yoda.... I have used that sales tactic myself in the past. I have even built crates to look like originals for my sales displays. There seems to be something about buyers looking through a "crate" that gets them all excited. I always suspected it was along the lines of... "I picked the best one out of a whole crate full of them" mind set. That and/or the "lemmings" school of thought.... People are not sure about them, but if one person breaks the ice and buys one, that seems to reasure those who are hesitant or on the fence and they decide "well he thinks its a good deal too, so it must be ok"...and buy one also. People seem to be hesitant to be the first one to do something, but when somebody goes first they are willing to follow.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Bill, thats about it in a nut shell. I did take a wooden 7.62X54r ammo box with hinged lid and wooden handels on the side. Put a divider in it and would load it up with revolvers ( m1895 nagant ) to match the rifles. I would sell 12 revolvers a show this last wenter, 2 to 4 at a time. Not to a singel person but rather in herds. Once some one picked up the first one. it was all but over for the others standing around.

Gramps, very impresive

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks. Seven or eight years ago, one of the outfits that sells Milsurps listed "Wooden Mauser crates - German WWII" in their ad in Shotgun News. (May have been J&G. I can't remember now.) Anyhow, they didn't cost very much (around $35-40.00, IIRC) although shipping turned out to be more than the cost of the crate. I took a chance and got one, figuring it would probably turn out to be post war or South American or something. I was pleasantly surprised when it actually turned out to be the real deal. I tried to order another at that point, but naturally, they were out.
One neat thing is what I presume to be the serials of the ten rifles originally transported in the case written inside the lid. Interestingly, there are ten consecutive numbers, but written in random order. The high and low serial numbers are written seperately to one side.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No date that I can find. There are a few unreadable remnants of paper tags. If there was a date, it was probably on one of those.

·
Registered
197 Posts
No date that I can find. There are a few unreadable remnants of paper tags. If there was a date, it was probably on one of those.
Reviving a old thread.
Any chance you can do a detailed measure and draw up plans and maybe please do a full size template of the inserts? Would pay a few bucks for plans and shipping?
I am wanting to build this case for mausers.

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
those type of crates hold 10 rifles, 5 over 5. I can help you with the crate dimensions, it the same as the Yugo M48 Mauser crate, which is a copy of the German crate. the k98 and M48 are the appox the same length, 43.7/43.5 inches; 14.5 high X 21.7 wide X 49.5 long

as for the rifle cradles, if you are wanting a 10 rifle crate then it's 3 boards with cutout for the rifles spaced evenly across the entire width where the cut outs have to conform to the rifle alternating top to bottom and side to side . for 5 rifles, just use the top and bottom of the cradle, you don't need the middle board

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.