Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When a barrel was damaged or shot out and in need of replacement, were the replacement barrel numbers different than the other numbers on the gun or were they serialized to the rest of the gun? How does one tell if he is looking at a counterfeit matching barrel or the original?

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,648 Posts
No expert here, but the font is usually the same style on original barrel/receivers. The font on a replacement would be likely be different but the same serial number. I think BBOTWM has a pic of one.

·
Silver Bullet member
365 Posts
On the replacement barrel there is usually a "0.2" on the barrel shoulder,
which I believe stands for the 2nd barrel on this rifle. Has anyone ever seen
one with a "0.3"??
Tks,
Bob

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
It would be very helpful if you posted a pic or two or ten of the rifle you are asking about. Plus we will need to know the code and date on the reciever. There are a lot of variations in both fonts and numbering formats as well as post war importer applied numbers on receivers that can further confuse the situation and prevent us from accurately responding without more info (pics).

·
Registered
382 Posts
On the replacement barrel there is usually a "0.2" on the barrel shoulder,
which I believe stands for the 2nd barrel on this rifle. Has anyone ever seen
one with a "0.3"??
Tks,
Bob

I know everyone preaches that the "0,2" represents a barrel change like it is gospel. Is this speculation (only) from observed examples or is there some kind of documention that backs this up. The "zero comma two" is considered a dimension in the metric system, not an incremental counter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Bill, Thanks for the response. I don't currently own a K98 but I am in the process of trying to find a good one. I know that most American guns do not have serial numbered barrels so it can be next to impossible to tell if a barrel is the original, a third or fourth or ???. As far as I know the Germans (and their allies/occupied countries) were the main ones to totally serialize their guns in any mass quantity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts