Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning up a older import BCD 4 and the bolt seems a bit odd. There are no waffenampt's, serial numbers on the cocking piece, safety, firing or shroud.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Late bolt?

The pictures are dark and not clear enough to determine if there is a guide rib on the bolt body. If there is no rib, it's probably a "last production" bolt. There were a lot of cut corners at the final stages of the war.

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
I can see a guide rib in pictures 2 and 6.

My guess is that this thing got played with by an armorer or went through some sort of refurb somewhere to get that back end.

I have a 'sanitized' mixmastered dot 44 (somebody somewhere refurbed it, and in the process ground off all the 'Nazi' markings except the ID Code and year, INCLUDING the receiver serial number). BTW, they DID miss a Nazi eagle on the base of the bolt handle, which is hidden by the bolt sleeve.

On that rifle as I got it, the entire rear end of the bolt (bolt sleeve, detent, cocking piece, safety, and firing pin) are uncharacteristically 'in the white'. There are no ID's or proofs on those parts, so I am unsure how they got there.

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Pics for me at least are not good enough to verify one way or the other. But not unusual to find period correct late bolt assemblies made from mixed phosphate and blue un-numbered and/or armorers parts. I would not rush to sell or trade your parts until their status is determined.

Scott

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The root appears to E63 marked. Some country probably sanatized the markings or they were not inspected at all. Sometimes you see one that has contract e on the cocking piece and shroud. A lot of matching bolts were tossed by the guys up front to be picked up later and a replacement found by another guy that was behind him. Sunfish

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The bolt body is from Mauser (E/135) on the bottom and the serial font is MO too. What's odd is the wear/tear on the body is not consistent with the "new" appearance on the other bolt parts... Not sure otherwise...

Attachments

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
As Bob noted, the wear and finish look off to me comparing the bolt body to the striker/safety assy. It was not unusual to have those parts screwed in from a different rifle. Those parts certainly are not original to the bolt body.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
To me they look reground and refinished, not armorer parts.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.