Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about purchasing a tack driver to add to my collection of surplus bolt action rifles. I've got a Swede M96 (which is a nail driver), but lately my local Dunham's has gotten in some K31s. I've heard many good things about these rifles, but having never owned one, is there any particular thing I should pay close attention to outside of the normal areas (bore, stock finish, etc)? Also what is a good price for a k31?

·
Registered
480 Posts
it it's century import marked (most likely with dunhams) pay very close attention to condition especially signs of any rust at all

i've seen some K31s that looked good but maybe had a touch of surface rust on the exposed metal but under the stock... looked like something out of a nightmare

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,980 Posts
IMO, pick one the same way you would pick any used rifle: Bore condition, wear, rust, wood, etc. All parts should have the same serial number on barrel, receiver, magazine, and stock. Check the action for any binding. Stocks often have moderate to heavy wear around the buttplate.

Walnut stocks are more desirable than birch. If the clerk allows it, check under the buttplate for an owners' tag. Check out www.swissrifles.com for their list of serial numbers, which will tell you when the rifle was made.

Be prepared to reload your own 7.5x55 Swiss ammo, unless you find a surplus Swiss GP-11 ammo, which is packed in 5-round boxes, 60 to a paper brick, or the new Russian ammo.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The rusty K-31's I've seen at Dunhams were light surface rust but the bores were still fantastic as always. Even a beater birch, late production rusty K-31 is still a steal at the $99-$149 they are often priced at.

GP-11 is still widely available! BUT it is at a higher-than-its-already-high price. Remember though...even though it is surplus, you are getting top of the line essentially "match grade" ammo. Dan's, a board sponsor, has the 480 round sealed cases for $215. Sportsmans Guide has it as well...so do others. You can also shoot Wolf, Hornady, and others...

You won't regret buying one!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Many K31 rifles have stock wear for the first 3-4" of the rear stock near the buttplate - This is pretty normal but you can find some of these rifles without this.

I currently have two beech and one walnut stocked K31s and they shoot equally well regardless - The walnut is more beautiful to look at though.

Bore condition is most important. Most you will find have an excellent bore but I have seen a few that had a rough bore - Very few IME.

The ones that I've seen that were rusty appeared to have dark red exterior rust but not pitting.

Many will be all matching including the removable magazine.

You can buy loaded ammo in surplus or commercial form. It is an easy cartridge to handload for. Make sure to carefully measure overall length or the bolt will not close completely and the rifle will not fire.

These rifles are very accurate - As accurate as a Swedish Mauser. Great trigger.

They are a great deal for money you will spend - Very beautifully and precisely made.

As posted before - Inpect as any other milsurp rifle before purchasing.

Tiledude

1 - 5 of 5 Posts