Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I was offered a rough k31 as a trade for a Remington 1100 in excellent condition.
I will like to know your opinion on the rifle.
So I will like to know if is worth to trade for the shotgun and restoring it.

I have not have the rifle in my hands yet just the pictures.

THAnks for the help

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies

I was told it was a K31 !!

I will tell my friend to bring it home so I can inspect it.

Maybe even try a home restoration as a DIY project but no trade!!!!!!

I will offer 50 bucks if the bore is not pitted.

thanks again

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Don't think I've ever seen a Swiss rifle in that bad of shape. Definitely not a K31. A quick way to spot a K31 from other Swiss rifles is they have aluminum bolt handles while the others have the brown Bakelite handles. As stated above that is a 1896/11 long rifle. In perfect condition that rifle would be worth $400. Keep your shotgun. There was a nice K31 that sold on Simpsons today for $450. You just have to keep your eyes open for the good deals.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Don't think I've ever seen a Swiss rifle in that bad of shape. Definitely not a K31. A quick way to spot a K31 from other Swiss rifles is they have aluminum bolt handles while the others have the brown Bakelite handles. As stated above that is a 1896/11 long rifle. In perfect condition that rifle would be worth $400. Keep your shotgun. There was a nice K31 that sold on Simpsons today for $450. You just have to keep your eyes open for the good deals.
An even easier way to spot one is the large "Swiss cross in a shield" marking on the top of the receiver, and the fact that the magazine is very close to the front of the trigger guard. The magazines are all quite a bit further forward on all the earlier version rifles.

SOMETIMES (not often) you will find those aluminum knobs on the older guns.

I have to ask: What is up with the sling on that rifle? It looks like it is wearing two of them, and not Swiss ones.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Oh Lord.... keep your shotgun. I bet that corrosion is all over and inside that K31. Wait for a good K31 to come along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My goof on calling it a K31. Definitely Not a K31. I was distracted by the over the top corrosion and was typing on the go (Gotta slow down!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies!!

I got an update on the K11.
My friend came to my house and gave it to me free!!!!!

He told me it was too rusted for him and he likes other kind of firearms.
From my point of view, he lacks the gun knowledge to appreciate it.

So now is mineeee!!!

He gave me a case of 7.92x57 and told me that those were the bullets for the rifle. That was very suspicious to me.
Has anyone heard of a k11 in 7.92x57mm??
The stock is been repaired at the grip.

Some pictures of the rusty jewel

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is definitely not a K11. That is a 96/11. The pistol grip was added to the original 1896 rifle stock when they did the conversions. Also, the ammo he gave you is more commonly known as 8mm Mauser (you may have already known this, so apologies if it seems like I'm explaining unnecessary things). Proper ammo is 7.5x55 Swiss. I'm surprised that the bolt seems to have a fair amount of grease on it and may actually be okay, but I really wonder about the bore condition (and if the internals of the bolt will work properly). You will need a magazine for sure. See more info on the 96/11 rifles at http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/index.html.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was also going to say that I've never heard of any being rechambered/bored to 8mm Mauser. I doubt the ammo he provided is appropriate and wouldn't try to use it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok - back again! I noticed that the receiver looked wrong on your new acquisition. The area that takes the stripper clip has been modified and may in fact now be a piece intended to take an 8mm mauser stripper clip, so your friend might be right. I've never seen anything like that on a Schmidt-Rubin rifle. I suggest you have it checked out by a competent gunsmith if you intend to shoot it. Good luck cleaning it up!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I noticed that on the receiver too.
It looked to long compared to all the internet pictures I have seen.
My friend told me it was a straight shooter last time he shot it 20 years ago.
Some pictures on how the 8mm Mauser fitted on the chamber.
Will the 8mm Mauser fit in the 7.5x55 swiss magazine?

View attachment 2252490 View attachment 2252482 View attachment 2252498

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your pics didn't come through. From the standpoint of dimensions, I don't think the 8mm Mauser rounds will fit the magazine. They have a slightly smaller diameter for the case, so that's not a problem, but the GP11 ammunition has an overall length of 3.059 inches, while the 8mm Mauser OAL is 3.250.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.