Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions about K31 slings. What were the various manufacturers and dates of manufacturers? Should I try to match the date on the sling with the date of the rifle? I have seen some unused slings on ebay and was wondering when those were made. Also I have seen light colored slings and dark slings. Is there any significance to that other than differences in leather?

I bought some K31 slings lately at gunshows and cleaned them up. Some are really dirty. They are usually between $10 - $15. I wonder what they sell for in Europe? I would like to get as many variations and dates as possible since it is a cheap form of collecting. Any information on sling variations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Leather gear was made by saddlers from allover Switzerland, they stamped their name, place and the year on it and the military added a acceptance stamp later.
From what I know the last military K31 slings were made in the early sixties

Guisan.:)

·
Silver Bullet member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there any rare saddlers or years for slings? I am assuming since the sling makers were independent of the rifle manufacturers the year for the sling did not match the year for the rifle. With M1 Carbines, the WWII slings are worth more than Vietnam era slings or obviously more than reproductions. I will try to take an inventory of my slings and get some pictures posted.

·
Silver Bullet member
972 Posts
I was wondering about this topic myself! Namely, was there a tendency to equip K31's with slings made in the same region as where a particular K31's "owner" was stationed? Or were the slings all sent to the factory and paired up randomly with K31's as the latter came off the production line? If the latter, were the slings usually stamped the same year as the K31, or was there a delay one way or the other?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Are there any rare saddlers or years for slings? I am assuming since the sling makers were independent of the rifle manufacturers the year for the sling did not match the year for the rifle. With M1 Carbines, the WWII slings are worth more than Vietnam era slings or obviously more than reproductions. I will try to take an inventory of my slings and get some pictures posted.
LOL well start researching this yourself and let me know...

Best wishes

Guisan.:)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
If you have a 1938 dated sling let me know, I have been looking for one.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
I will have to look at what I have in stock - I have around 17 or 18 of these slings left, dates ranging from 1920s to late 1950s. I have an ad up in the Trader Forum.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I will have to look at what I have in stock - I have around 17 or 18 of these slings left, dates ranging from 1920s to late 1950s. I have an ad up in the Trader Forum.
Didn't I already ask you and you said you didn't? Or am I losing my mind once again?

·
23,298 Posts
I just picked up another 10 slings, and haven't had a chance to go through them yet.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Ah, so I did and I am but you will and you can.... XD

·
23,298 Posts
Well, it looks like I have the following dates:

1943 (2)
1945 (2)
1952 (2)
1955 (3) - but one of the 1955 dated ones already spoken for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts