Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To All,

My first question is fairly simple: On the K31 name plates was there a particular order of names? First name first or last name first?

Also, what was the information placed on these and is there a good link for finding this stuff out.

My friends mother is from Austria and can read German better than I. So as a surprise to all of us I waited until she visited from Texas to see if my rifle had a name tag in it. It does.:D

Now for freaky: What I think is either the original owners birthday or date of issue was the same as my birthday! So this owner either shared my birthday or was issued his rifle on my birthday.

What are the odds?

A nice, weird coincidence if you ask me.:):eek::)

Doug

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
'My first question is fairly simple: On the K31 name plates was there a particular order of names? First name first or last name first?'

Military nomenclature in ANY 1st world armed forces is surname followed by first name.

'Also, what was the information placed on these and is there a good link for finding this stuff out.'

See the post above. The information is usually name, followed by the last two figures of date of birth. Next line is the abbreviation for the unit, and the last line is the home address of the soldier.

tac

·
Copper Bullet member
745 Posts
Is the date after the name always the year of birth? I looked at the Swissrifles site, but now am confused.

My tag reads "Grossenbacher Andr. 39 Ls.Kp. III/(upside down V?) H.P.A. Munsingen"
If I understand this correctly, that would mean that Andrew Grossenbacher was born in 1939, and he was in Home Defense Company meaning he was over 46 at the time. This would put the issue date at after 1985. Were they still issueing these things in 1985, or is it possible that 39 was the issue date? The rifle was made in 1937.
Does anyone know what H.P.A. means?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Why making it more difficult as it is ?
He got issued the rifle as a recruit at the age of 20 in 1959 and only changed units over the years and the last unit he was in was the Landsturm and after that he probably turned in the rifle (no P for privatized stamp).
Could you post a pic of that tag ?

Guisan.:)

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
I would bet you a pound to a piece of parrot poop that his name is Andreas, rather than Andrew - a name that is very near unpronounceable to most German speakers...

Gruesse aus Ostliche Angelland

tac

·
Copper Bullet member
745 Posts
I'm a dunce. I didn't think about the fact that a soldier would change the tag when his status changed. I also made an assumption about the name.
Anyhow, here's a photo.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To All,

Thanks for all the great info!!! :) :) :)

I'll try to post some pics of my tag (I took several). I had them taken when I was at my friends before I put the plate back on but with his mother visiting they haven't emailed me yet.

Doug

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

H.P.A stands for "Heil und Pflegeanstalt" what is now called a psychiatric clinic, the one in Münsingen is huge as you can see in the pic above and he probably worked and lived there.
I think that first name to be Andreas and you should read the upside down V as 1.

Guisan.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts