Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And it's a very nice piece. Unless I miss my guess, it was made in Sep 1936 as the butt has a IX 36 under the plate. The barrel, action, bolt, both pieces of stock and clip match. The bore is very nice. I also got a Swiss marked sling and it came with a ID tag. I cleaned it up with DA and put 2 coats of Linseed oil followed by my Linseed oil beeswax mix and althought the stock is well used, it's nice. The trigger is light there is a shim under the forward action mount and the end of the barrel channel has been modified, and the front sight is not standard...hence the red tape. I can't wait to shoot it.....got to wait until the Goslings hatch next week. Regards, Rick.

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Thundervalley. Thanks for the info. Why do you say it was made in 1940 and what does the IX 36 signify on the butt stock? Not that it matters much.....just curious. Regards, Rick.

·
Silver Bullet member
6,065 Posts
Sir - as noted, the foresight looks perfectly normal - a fact confirmed by the addition of the red tape you notice. All this means is that the owner has taken part in a competition and that the armourer's check has found it to conform to the standard issue configuration.

Nice to have a German Swiss living in the French-speaking part. He'll be pretty old by now, at least 89, if he is still with us.

If you find a need to make some kind of contact, please use the letter format put together by the guys over on www.swissrifles.com - that way you'll avoid any unintentional bloopers from using Garbage-fish.

tac

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup. I measured it and it's identical to my others.....just looks brand new. I had no luck finding the last one but I'll give it a try. I see he was a First Lieutenant...were officers issued rifles? Here is a pic of the built up area at the bore. Regards, Rick.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
6,065 Posts
Yes, like all officers we was a soldier first, then an officer. Patricularly if he was an infantryman. ALL Swiss soldiers, officer and enlisted, are/were marksmen, just like every US Marine is a rifleman.

tac

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why do you say it was made in 1940 and what does the IX 36 signify on the butt stock?
The "IX" represents the ninth month of the calendar (Sept.) I can only speak from limited experience, but it seems that it's not uncommon for the stock production date to be several years ahead of the rifle itself. My '45 K31 has a matching no. stock produced in April 1940 and my '57 K31's matching stock was made in Sept. 1952. Go figure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.