Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I picked up this "rack grade" K11 from a store online -- while it looks like the wrist was at some point repaired, the wood lifting up around the tang has me worried.
Any insight into this rifle and/or whether or not it's safe to shoot?

Regarding provenance, from what I can tell online it has a fairly early 1914 serial number (31XXX) and a '36 re-arsenal date. The serial range is described on swisswaffen . com as a "vorserie" (pre-series?) rifle, but I'm not sure what the significance of that is. All numbered parts seem to match except for the rear sights, though I haven't taken it out of the stock or removed the butt plate to check those serials. Bluing is unfortunately obliterated on the butt as well as the magazine base and trigger guard, but the rest of the rifle seems to be in good condition.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may be able to provide :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1936 is the refurbish date, not a rearsenal date.

Rear sights never match on K11.

The repair looks like an arsenal repair. If it is, it would be safe to shoot.
Woops! My apologies, I'm very new to these firearms and don't quite have the terminology down yet. Thank you for the information! I suppose refurbishment and re-arsenal carry different connotations in this case? Does that have something to do with the "vorserie" serial range on your website?

The repair definitely looks like an arsenal repair based on the other two that I've seen online - It feels solid as best I can tell, It just gives me a bit of pause based on the raised wood and the dark lines of the crack. That being said, I trust a Swiss armorer more than myself to certify one of these as safe. Thanks!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sorry for the short answer above, I was in a hurry.

Vorserie has nothing todo with refurbishment g It was the first series of K11 with some slight modifications (band, sight). Most of these different parts have been replaced over time.

Since 1911 arsenals have not been stamped on the rifles. Only refurbishment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.