Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another rifle I bought for parts, and then some research turns up the Kale Short Rifles.
All the Turks I have purchases have been long rifles and in far worse condition than this one.

Not being aware of the short rifles, I thought this was a cut down long rifle.

Having done some reading online, I am back to wondering if this IS a cut down long rifle, or assembled from parts.
Basing this on the 1941 date on the action.

It is also "numbers matching" (except for the bolt). Was this a Turkish practice, or done as some later date? None of the long rifles I have owned had the numbers stamped in the locations on this short rifle.
Barrel s/n is a mismatch, but I read that is correct, as they re-used barrels for these short rifles. (Bore is perfect!)

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
It is a cut down long rifle. Kkale short rifles were made in 1944/45. The distance between barrel bands is wrong and true short rifles have protective "ears" around the front sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
A Problem.
The Serial number of the receiver is More or less Correct for an Early 1941 Built Long Rifle ( see DocAV Turk Serial Survey, Parallax C&R Board YUKO).

The fitting of the front Band (Byt) seems to be "Bubba" BUT the Turks did this occasionally as well, esp. on rebuilt rifles. The spring bar for the Sling Band is correct for a 1941 rifle; only later in production did they switch to the "Pin" method ( looks like a screw, but not threaded.).

Front sight is Mauser G98 style, sleeved on and soldered, as per G98s ( Not the more common "K98a" type Eared front sight, as seen an (almost) all "Short Turks---Both the 1937/38 rebuilds, and the 1944-46 K'Kale SRs.)

Possibly ( very Possibly, My Opinion) (1) a pre-production trial Short rifle, done by K'Kale, using an existing Long K'Kale; (2) A Turkish Armoury Depot rebuild of a Damaged Long K'Kale, or to supply an immediate requirement; (3) A US Bubba, built from Parts, and renumbered to match Receiver(???)...Note that the Receiver screws are G98/Kar98k notched type, not the Plain K'Kale type.

Stock is definitely K'Kale ( ATF) Manufacture ( brass sling swivel screws), but again, a rebuild from parts?

The Finish of the Blue is extremely good, Like some of the Pristine K'Kales that did survive general Recruit use in Turkey...

I would NOT "part it out"...there is a chance ( very especially with Turks) that is "The Real McCoy".

Over the almost 20 years I have been recording Turk rifle details, NOTHING surprises me any more, of the wide variety of "Real Kosher Turks" ( a contradiction in terms, maybe I should say "Halal" Turks) that exist out there, ...remember, Back in the 60s, Turkey offered close to 750,000 "Mauser" rifles...nobody wanted them, because that many Mausers would depress the US Price, and also because GCA68 came, and embargoed all Milsurps into the US till 1986...

Doc AV

Welcome to Turcomania, ....where you can "check out" but never leave ( apologies to "Hotel California").

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doc,

Thank you for your thoughts.

Not sure what I will do with it at the moment.
Purchased for a good price, so I'll either take the parts I need or flip it.

I buy up the oddball stuff at auctions with one plan and then find some information leading me to head in a different direction.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,464 Posts
It is too nice to break up for parts.It will take a serious Turkish collector to appreciate it.I was trying to sell the short rifle version made from a German Kar.98a receiver which is another short rifle variation.The 3rd variation is the short rifle made from the 1903 rifle.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is too nice to break up for parts.It will take a serious Turkish collector to appreciate it.I was trying to sell the short rifle version made from a German Kar.98a receiver which is another short rifle variation.The 3rd variation is the short rifle made from the 1903 rifle.
I bought it, 'cause the parts are nice! ;)

K. Kale Turks are a tough sell. Dozens on Gunbroker that aren't altered.
Won't break it up for now, but I do need a bolt stop for another project.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.