Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am looking to remove the rear site on a K98 to install a reproduction zf41 mount and scope from Numrich. After doing a search I was able to find a few threads on here but nothing had any pictures. Some old threads linked a surplus rifle forum but the link didn't work. I searched YouTube without any luck. I have removed the pin already, I just need to see what to do next. Anyone know of a good step by step with pictures?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
I can't help you with pictures, but all you really need to do at this point is to get the projections on either side of the pivot end of the rear sight leaf to go 'beneath' the lugs on the rear sight base as you pull the leaf to the rear.

Sometimes (not often) you can push down on the pivot end of the sight leaf and pull it out to the rear using only your hands, but most of the time it is easier if you push down on the pivot end of the leaf with something like a padded C-clamp.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Ha, recently I wanted to do the same thing, those numrich repros, though I believe the originals had a rear sight base with dovetail and not the modern expedient of removeable ramp, so I put it on hold, maybe, just received a surplus k98 with g+ to vg bore and muzzle with very used zf41 stock, it has the original cut away in the wood, I didn't want to butcher/sporter a good laminate, ever.

Anyway, I have always take a tapered brass drift to remove a rear sight leaf, once pin is driven out, you take the brass drift from the front top of the sight leaf near the pivot pin area and smack the drift down and rearwards with a hammer ONLY AFTER YOU OF COURSE MAKE SURE THE SLIDER IS NOT HANGING UP ON THE RIDGE IN THE REAR OF THE BASE(FORGOT TO ADD THAT IN, SEEMED LIKE COMMON SENSE, ETC), and that usually helps tremendously to remove it out of its' track, see, the leaf has two protrusions fitted into a slot to the point the sight leaf can actually stay in without a pin installed, one each side, the opening of the slot is below the leaf somewhat somewhere. Reinstallaion is reverse of removal with a drift and hammer.

Those sight ramps with zf41 rail, they have to be fitted to the base with minor filing or grinding, not too much of course, meaning that if you ever plan on putting the scope mount and scope on another rifle, it would be best to leave the zf41 rail ramp in place and get a new one.

The originals like I said, I believe they were all one piece with the sight base. My rifle I just received may have been an original byf ex zf41 sniper, or the stock was thrown on later, will have to verify a stock channel number once clean that grease/grime/mold off it in the next few days cause the stock was so grimy and moldy I had to put it in one of the sheds. But, its my only original zf41 stock, and in well used condition from post war trainee use. One item of interest was a nail without a head nailed into the sling keeper well and very rusty, I figured out it was likely to keep a sling on if a soldier only had a leather strap for a sling with no buckle.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Yeah, I forgot to mention the whole sight slider thing, seemed like common sense, its the track of the pivot area I figured most folks have trouble with, errr, I shouldn't give advice, ha, I end up having to re-read my posts too much for omissions.

On another note, I just had to pay over $200 for a reproduction one piece zf41 base on ebay, not generally available anymore and supposedly european made, I hope it is "good". I can't believe I just did that, just to have a one piecer. At least it comes with a sight and slide attached, just cause I am leary of the numrich made ones, which are likely all that I needed.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, hopefully I can get this figured out.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't help you with pictures, but all you really need to do at this point is to get the projections on either side of the pivot end of the rear sight leaf to go 'beneath' the lugs on the rear sight base as you pull the leaf to the rear.

Sometimes (not often) you can push down on the pivot end of the sight leaf and pull it out to the rear using only your hands, but most of the time it is easier if you push down on the pivot end of the leaf with something like a padded C-clamp.
Ronbo6,

The c-clamp worked like a charm! Thanks!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.