Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one tell me what year the change over from flat buttstocks to cupped buttstocks ocured and why the change over? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
most makers changed over in late 40 or early 41, not all makers changed at once. common thought is that the cupped buttplate was both cheaper to make, and protected the butt of the laminate stocks better.

·
Registered
225 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

most makers changed over in late 40 or early 41,
I could be wrong but I have never seen or heard of an authentic , original 1941 K98k rifle with a flat butt plate by any maker.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I've seen a flat butt plate walnut stock on byf 41 and and cupped butt plate walnut stocks on 45 dates. While these are Not the norm, as the war progressed it is possible to find about anything.
Sarge

·
Registered
292 Posts
Don't know if you trust Law on this one, but 3 of the 8 he shows for '41 are flat buttplates.

He also shows a '42 Ar with the flat buttplate. I'd guess they just used up what they had.

Never thought much about it. I'll try to pay attention and see if I can find examples.

Found this from Gunbroker, '41 with flat. He says matching stock, so it would be my fast example #1.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=77894941

Quick run thru my pictures shows a '41 byf with flat plate and its stock matches. Have pics of two '42 Ar with flat stocks, although my notes say 1 is mis-match and there is no pic of stock serial. So can't really count that one, but the other '42 Ar my notes show as matching and photos appear to be matching although the owner blanked out the serial.

I'm done on this one. I think there is probably more proof showing '41 and '42 can have flat.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,273 Posts
I have a duv 41 laminated stock all matching with the flat plate.. Regards Lee

·
Silver Bullet member
918 Posts
ar 41, laminate stock , matches receiver in channel and bayo lug. flat butt-plate.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Cupped butt plates came out in 1940 and everyone had converted by the end of 41. The flat was used till stocks were exhausted so it is not at all uncommon to find flat on a 41 dated rifle. Found on a 42-45 dated IS uncommon, but they are out there, just like walnut stocks show up on 45 dated rifles.
Sarge

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
if you want oddball stuff, look for serials on the cupped. only done in 41? poss early '42.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Cupped butt plates were ser numbered in 40, 41 & possibly 42. None of my 42 dated are numbered, so ?. Likewise none of the coded/undated ones or blank ones are numbered. Only gqm - 42-44 dated - dated them after 42. Seems like I have heard of another code dated after 42, but???
Sarge

1 - 10 of 10 Posts