Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Admin Emeritus
19,074 Posts
Nice. Should be a side rail I would think.

· Mr. Flashy Pants
7,372 Posts
Another member sent that to me and then I forgot about it as I was on the road when it closed. I'm glad you got it.

I bet it's not drilled and tapped myself. The real question is who put that barrel on the receiver, the Finns, or the Soviets? Be sure to let us know the tang marks when you get it, just for curiosities sake.

· Gold Bullet member
2,096 Posts
looks like a finn rebarrel to me...'39 is a little late for a hex reciever, but it's definately a sniper barrel. Still a nice find, I would've thrown a bid on that one if I only had money.

· Gold Bullet member
11,770 Posts
Nice. I was tempted to bid, and I'm glad I didn't. Wouldn't have won anyway, as the final price was well over what I could afford.

· Silver Bullet Member
1,658 Posts
Thanks for out bidding me. I still hadn't come up with an excuse for the wife on why I needed another 91/30. Almost upped my max before I left for work this morning. Kinda glad I didn't, and I'm glad you got it. Congrats!!!

· Silver Bullet member
1,119 Posts
Interesting. Did Finns serial number receiver- same numbers, but looks like they translated the letters.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
Congrats! It's an unusual one. I watched it for the duration as well but I didn't bid as I figured it would go for more than I was willing to spend.

· Gold Bullet member
3,094 Posts
Congrats, a very interesting rifle indeed. I also saw it soon after it was listed and was watching it. I figured it may have been a case of the Finns using what parts they had on hand to build a complete rifle. Either way we look forward to hearing more when you get it.

PAshutr3

· Gold Bullet member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I picked up the rifle today and pulled it out of the stock. I'm going to guess it was a Finn built rifle. I don't see a date stamped into the tang. The stock is a one piece Russian stock. It looks as though is has never been sanded. Lots of inspector marks and a Tula star. The indexing marks on the barrel and reciever do not line up. It's covered in grease under the wood. I'll take some pics tonight when I clean it up and post them.

· Copper Bullet Member
12,789 Posts
now seen at least 3 of these lately all were rebarreled to earlier receivers. Seems like a lot of effort to degrade what may have been usable sniper rifles. Question begs whether the soviets may have done it prior to "donating" them to the finns

· Admin Emeritus
19,074 Posts
Probably a rebarrel by the Finns with the hex and all.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.