Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I was watching this one to see what she would bring. Very nice looking weapon. Now you just need to buy a few of the Christie 30 round magazines and start increasing your supply of 45 acp. I hope she runs great for you, but if she doesn't, I have found them straight forward to work on.

Tribrothers

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was watching this one to see what she would bring. Very nice looking weapon. Now you just need to buy a few of the Christie 30 round magazines and start increasing your supply of 45 acp. I hope she runs great for you, but if she doesn't, I have found them straight forward to work on.

Tribrothers

I thought it would go for more, especially with the Reising being semi featured in the first couple of episodes of THE PACIFIC. I'm not complaining though.

I found Christie's website and am going to order a couple of 30 rounders, springs, and on of his titanium pins.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got my Reising last year. I took it out five times before the firing pin broke, which is pretty common on them. I replaced it with one of Christie's titanium firing pins and started getting light primer hits. A Wolf extra power hammer spring solved that problem, but I didn't like the extra power springs in the rest of the gun. I ordered one of Christie's spring kits, which is supposed to be all original weights. I'll still use the Wolf hammer spring due to the lighter firing pin, but I'll replace the rest of the springs with Christie's, as soon as I get a chance.

While I was waiting for my Form 4 to clear, I did a lot of reading online and found constant reports of reliability issues, and how they don't like to run if dirty at all. That's completely opposite of my experiences. Since it's C&R, Dave the Mailman dropped it off at my house the day before I was supposed to attend the Hanson MG Shoot here in MA. I put a few mags through it at the club the day before, grabbed my ammo and left for the shoot with a friend. No cleaning throughout the day, and we fired over 1000 rounds of cast bullet reloads with Unique powder, then another 800 rounds of Winchester USA 230gr ball ammo. Again, that's 1800+ rounds, over half of it filthy cast bullet reloads, with no cleaning. Just a shot of Remoil on the bolt every now and then. How many malfunctions throughout the day? Absolutely none.

You may end up replacing a firing pin and springs, but if it's anything like mine, your Reising will run with the best of them, as long as you don't plan to assault any beaches with it!

·
Registered
467 Posts
While I was waiting for my Form 4 to clear, I did a lot of reading online and found constant reports of reliability issues, and how they don't like to run if dirty at all. That's completely opposite of my experiences. !
If you already broke a firing pin and had to upgrade parts... well I think its starting to fit those reports. Plus really a lot of those reports come from Marine use in the Pacific. Take the gun and dump sand, mud, water and God knows what else on it and see how it runs. I hear most of the other reports come from breaking more serious parts then firing pins and then replacement parts just never just drop in and requires lots of tweaking. Now I have never owned one myself but thats what I have heard and observed. I have also hear that once you get them running, they can run real well. But getting them to that point can be a pain! Can it be a fine shooting firearm... sure there are lots out there that are. It made it into production and Military service so you know its not the worst firearm out there.

So yeah it can be a fire shooting gun but if your life depends on it going bang... I would be looking else where.

Hopefully the new owner will have a good shooting gun out of the box and it should be a lot of fun! They are cheap enough... I have considered getting one myself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you already broke a firing pin and had to upgrade parts... well I think its starting to fit those reports. Plus really a lot of those reports come from Marine use in the Pacific. Take the gun and dump sand, mud, water and God knows what else on it and see how it runs. I hear most of the other reports come from breaking more serious parts then firing pins and then replacement parts just never just drop in and requires lots of tweaking. Now I have never owned one myself but thats what I have heard and observed. I have also hear that once you get them running, they can run real well. But getting them to that point can be a pain! Can it be a fine shooting firearm... sure there are lots out there that are. It made it into production and Military service so you know its not the worst firearm out there.

So yeah it can be a fire shooting gun but if your life depends on it going bang... I would be looking else where.

Hopefully the new owner will have a good shooting gun out of the box and it should be a lot of fun! They are cheap enough... I have considered getting one myself.

The firing pin is a known issue with the Reising. If you read my post, I replaced it with the titanium Christie firing pin, which is expected to last the life of the Reising. Issue solved. I really don't see how my Reising, which has been 100% reliable, "fits those reports" of unreliability.

"Take the gun and dump sand, mud, water and God knows what else on it and see how it runs." Um, no. What transferrable NFA items do you have? Grab one of yours, whichever you want, and dump sand, mud water in it and see how it runs. Let me know how that goes for you. I didn't buy my Reising to stake my life on. I have my dedicated firearms for that. Most of my friends have NFA items, and none of them bought them as defensive firearms. They bought them for enjoyment.

The Reising was a complete failure as a military firearm. But, it did serve many LE and correction agencies well. Last time I checked, I couldn't find any reports of LEO's assaulting beaches here in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also collect Japanese militaria and "bad reputations" that stem from WW2 vets have kept prices down on "Jap junk" for many years. That, however, is starting to change. Compare a nice 250 - 300 Arisaka to a 1200 German Mauser.

So, I'm not complaining if a "bad reputation" keeps the prices on these ww2 era machine guns down. Especially the parked, military version I won. : P Compare a 4000 Reising to a 24,000 Thompson.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.

For $$ I think you did great. That is Mac money for a WW2 subgun. What deficiencies there are are known, and parts are available. Should be a great shooter.

I was honestly surprised it went that cheap, being in FL I might have bid on it ;) I was contemplating getting a M2 carbine in a few years as i feel they are under rated myself. But a Reising would be nice too.

have fun and post pics when it finally arrives. I almost forgot about my suppressor by the time the paperwork came in.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The firing pin is a known issue with the Reising. If you read my post, I replaced it with the titanium Christie firing pin, which is expected to last the life of the Reising. Issue solved. I really don't see how my Reising, which has been 100% reliable, "fits those reports" of unreliability.
Well because most guys in the field could not just replace the firing pin with a Christie firing pin... to the GI its a big problem.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not calling your gun junk. Like the Chauchat, you can get these guns running well, I know. However both were failures in the Military role that they were designed for.

As far as a LE role, I doubt it was actually fired many times... plus one would have to really consider if you would rather have a 1911 for that use... The gun certain was overkill for this job and its far from what the gun was designed for.

However today as a collector/hobby shooter gun, its not a bad deal. Yeah the very cheapest Tommy guns are 2X or more the price. Macs are still cheaper and you could but a nice Max11 slowfire upper on it and get out for less money but its still not a bad deal. I myself might look for one down the line because of the cheap price.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
With all due respect, contrary to your assertion that the Chau Chat was a "failure" in the military role for which they were designed, the Chau Chat acquitted itself extremely well. 250,000 of the guns were made, which gives yu an idea of the extent o which they were relid on, and there was constant improvements to them. They had many shortcomings, but in the atrocious conditions for the infantry through WWI, few LMGs of the any type fared very well. Many Croix de Guerre were awarded to Chau Chat gunners, and many revered the gun incombat, and they provided sufficient firepower to decidedly help the war effort.
Having had many of these guns in the shop for reactivations over the years, I have not seen any that hadn't seen a LOT of use. If they were so poor and unreliable this certainly would not be the case. They clean up well and can be made to run very reliably.
Compared to the Reising, of which I have seen many dozens of practically new guns, one could fairly draw the conclusion that the Reising wasn't up to the service expected of it.
Chau Chats are a remarkably interesting design, and the simplicity of the design and construction places it foremost in the long history of modernization of material and manufacturing techinques, beating out the Germans and even the Russians, the absolutely most creative small designers of all. IMO too many people find comforting the comparison of one MG against another, as if to favor their choice of MG, when it is almost impossible to make any kind of equitable comparison between most MGs. The Chau Chat has been maligned irrationally over the years, mostly on the basis of nationalistic and professional chauvinism amongst the elite "cognoscenti" few of whom never handled one much less shot or even understood the mechanics.

Bob Naess

·
Silver Bullet member
2,491 Posts
From what I've read, the Chau Chat's that were made in 30-06 were the ones with most of the problems as a result of the French machining incorrect chamber specs for the 06. Also some of the problems were because of the more powerful 30-06 rd. The French 8mm ones apparently worked a lot better. Ray

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.