Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum and I just won a MAS 49/56 308 conversion on Gunbroker last night and with the powers of hindsight, I am hoping I didn't make a big mistake. I had thought these were competent conversions and didn't realize it was the Century monkeys.
So what do I need to do to make sure this will run reliably?

From what I can see from the pictures, it looks to be in decent condition.
Gunbroker link: Mas 49/56 in 308 - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 899216941

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I have had 2 of these rifles, 1 ran reliably the other had extraction problems. I had tried to modify gas block to get it to work but it is still not running right. Biggest problem is the barrel setback shortening the gas tube and changing the cycling time. It tries to soon to eject. I have one left the one that does not work well. Would like to rebarrel it some day and rebuild the gas system. Right now it is basically a bolt action is has the OEM scope for it it shoots well but not semi auto. Make sure you dont try to shoot factory ammo, the primers are to soft and will slam fire with the stock firing pin.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,330 Posts
OP:

I don’t have any suggestions but I’ll welcome you to the forum and wish you could luck getting your new rifle in shooting condition! :) 👍

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
I'd just wait to see how well it shoots. From my understanding, some of these worked without issue; others required work to get them to run reliably. Seller doesn't state the rifle runs reliably, so I'd expect issues. But, just wait and see if it runs good.
Rifles in original configuration are really good rifles. Soft shooting and well built.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Welcome to GunBoards. I don't often see photos of a firearm in the direct sunlight because it doesn't make for the best photography, and it easily reveals any blemishes or faults. Even in the sunlight she looks to be in very good condition. Nice MAS.
Congrats

·
Registered
940 Posts
You paid a lot for a 308 MAS 49/56 given their very spotty reputation for reliability. If you're lucky it will run OK but it'll never be worth as much as an unmodified one, which you can buy for about the same price.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Welcome!
FME you will need a new full-length recoil spring (Numrich) and an adjustable gas valve from starmetal, a member here.
Other things to do are to polish the chamber and perform a small modification to the extractor.

Do a forum search to find threads on these things.PM starmetal and order the valve. Above all, don't let the naysayers who repeat what they read dissuade you. It can be a fine shooter if it has some issues. They can be performed quite inexpensively.
In fact, lots are just fine the way they are.

I joined much like yourself to get mine optimal and have succeeded and learned a great deal from it. And yes. Ammo is much more common.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Sharptonn, I am attempting to reach out to Starmetal and I have already looked into numrich for a recoil spring but they are out of stock. Do you know of any alternative sources for the recoil springs?

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I think you have to have a minimum number of posts in order to PM here.
I see you have reached-out in one of the threads on the valve.
Meanwhile, you might measure your recoil spring. Indeed, someone may have replaced it already.
For some unknown reason, Century cut some off of it. Check with APEX on a new spring....

Go shoot it and see how it does?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I purchased mine 25 plus years ago FTF from a local guy .I asked him if it worked Ok like slam fire , auto fire , extraction and feeding rounds from mag. to chamber . We met at the range and I fired over 10 mags. of commercial ammo with out any hang ups ! Was able to keep the rounds in 5" spread at 100 yards off hand . Gave him $250.00 went home cleaned it and put it away . All of the mags. are marked .308 on the mag. bottom . There are problems to feed when I use original 7.5 French mags. . Be sure to keep your firing pin clean it must not hang up inside the bolt to prevent slam fire .

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Indeed, mine worked great too. I began doing some mods as it threw brass into the next county.
The extractor mod explained by Kelt in a few threads seemed a good idea. Also a spring-loaded firing pin.
I simply wanted to cover all the bases from the advise of the knowledgeable members here.

Pop's advise might just be all you need?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't gotten the rifle yet, should be in hand by the weekend and there is no more rain in the forecast until next week, I will probably take this rifle out to the range and see how it does.

I just wanted to get a jump on what issues I might expect and their solutions. And I have been pretty lucky with my prior century arms purchases, so maybe I won't get a brick this time.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Look into one of the spring loaded firing pins or one of the lighter weight titanium pins if you can find one. will help with the slamfire issue. I picked up one of the Murrays pins and it works well.

Mine likes to rip the rim off of the case on extraction. The extractor mod will fix that, or you can just shoot steel cased ammo, especially if your chamber is on the rough side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered the firing pin from Murrays last night after watching a forgotten weapons video last night, mailed my check to starmetal, Trying to find a uncut recoil spring and I will look into the extractor mod.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,124 Posts
Biggest issues seem to be # 1 rough chamber finish causing extraction issues. Polishing the chamber can help. #2 poorly cut gas tube, that is badly fitted causing loss of pressure and poor cycling.
#3 cut / bent, / messed up recoil springs. Get a new one. #4, least frequent, shortened barrel poorly fitted, It can actually be loos in the receiver. Hope that helps. Hopefully yours will work without issue as some of them do. I have had 2 that functioned properly from the start and 3 others that need work as outlined above.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Unlike others here, I think your price is decent in the current market (the 2 extra mags will typically net ~$60-80 together to a patient seller). MAS 49/56 in good conditions these days can reach around $900-$1000. Any of the so-called shoddy condition of these rifles are generally easily fixed.

Be happy with your purchase.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts