Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those that care;

I just received a couple of tins Bulgarian 54R HB from J&G Sales. Their add states 300 rnds in sealed tins. I stated on my order to please be sure their sealed.

Both lids on the ends of the tins were disconnected and stuck back together with cosmoline and tape. With a string holding it all together. Ammo looks fine, but now the tins have become the 1ST I need to shoot. I ordered them so I wouldn't have to buy MORE ammo cans.

Wideners has them in trully sealed tins and they ship in perfectly fitting boxes with no packing needed. Tight, concise boxes ready to store, at least with 2 tins.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I spoke with the owner of J&G on that ammo about a week or so ago working on ordering some LB. He made it sound like he was getting low. You may have caught him at the end of his stock and he was just trying to complete the order. Just my guess

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Are you going to thank them..It seems that if you ask they will go out of there way to make sure you dont get what you ask for.

I used to order a lot of guns from them I allways ask for hand pick I think they would hand pick the worst one they had.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The tin that I ordered from J&G (Bulgarian HB) came in perfect condition. No visible breaks or punctures, sealed, etc.

Sorry you got a bad one.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
What gets me about J&G is they sell what everybody else also has, but at a slightly higher price. I think the only folks who make out with them are guys on the west coast, who'd get cheaper shipping from J&G than if they ordered from an east coast outfit.

If one does well at J&G I am glad it works for them. But in over 30 years of buying milsurps & ammo I've never found one thing at J&G I couldn't find somewhere else, and always at a better price.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J&G's higher prices + shipping equals the same as Wideners lower prices + shipping to us on the West Coast.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Also, J&G is just a dealer. Not a wholesaler who sells to the public. I've looked at their prices and have seen them the same as Century or SOG.

·
Registered
166 Posts
JG sales prices are slightly higher because they have to pay a trucking company to haul the stuff many more miles than the guys on the east coast. Almost all ammo imported to this country comes by way of ports in the North East, namely New York. Its a long ways from New York to Prescott, AZ at a dollar a mile it adds up. Also, they are the same level of distributor as any of the east coast guys, as JG, AIM, SG and any major ammunition retailer buy there ammo from just a few real wholesalers, one in VT and one in IL.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JG sales prices are slightly higher because they have to pay a trucking company to haul the stuff many more miles than the guys on the east coast. Almost all ammo imported to this country comes by way of ports in the North East, namely New York. Its a long ways from New York to Prescott, AZ at a dollar a mile it adds up. Also, they are the same level of distributor as any of the east coast guys, as JG, AIM, SG and any major ammunition retailer buy there ammo from just a few real wholesalers, one in VT and one in IL.
I'm sure J&G gets it from where everyone else gets it, CIA. If I can spend $500.00 @ CIA and get free shipping I wonder what it is for wholesales/retail buyers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Distributers who buy from Century in Vermont do not get free shipping. They get a "cut down to the bone" price, plus freight via the carrier of thier choice. Retail customers who buy from Century in Flordia get a much higher price, but shipping included at the $500+ mark. Cenutry is not the only importer of surplus ammunition there are major importer in IL, TN, Washington State, and of course Century in Vermont. Unless your spending $100,000+ per order Century is about the only one to deal with, and as of today they are the only one with much to sell because they out bid the other importers, secure the product, and drive up the price, but then again who else is there to deal with if Century has all the product, and its better than lossing it to someone of the other side of the world.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,322 Posts
Over the years I've made many trips to J&G, and hauled a lot of crated ammo & bunches of rifles back down the mountain.

You've got to hand it to J&G, at least they're consistent. EVERY TIME I visit them or buy something from them, I get special treatment. The treat me like a complete stranger with absolutely no need to get my preference. I've had the cranky old lady come up front from the cave they store her in out back & bitch me out for asking to look at too many rifles - after all, they can hand pick one for me. She's threatened me with "ask to see one more & we'll slap on the hand pick fee".

At gun shows, they are way too busy to take a little time to open up more than one box - buy it & like it, or lump it seems to be their motto.

They have no regard for collectors, or our individual collecting requirements. A customer is just a support device for the wallet he carries over to their sales counter. Apparently it doesn't matter & a lot of stupid people buy enough of their inventory that they need no customer service manners - kinda strange in a retail world where sales are made or broken by the attitude of the retailer, and success or failure of the business depends on it.

If they had the same helpful attitude that Big 5 does, J&G would have easily gotten thousands of dollars of additional sales from me over the past few years.

Sure, I'll go up there to look for something I want. I have no great expectations, and I know it won't break their greasy, cosmoline-soaked black little hearts if I go home empty handed. It's happened before...

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
J&G

I've always been treated very well at JG. I usually go there 4 or 5 times a year, and when I had my FFL they would bring out a lot of rifles for me to check and were quite friendly with me. I usually would buy 5 or7 or something like that so maybe that helps. They were great with me when they had the German ammo too. I bought over 50 cases of that stuff, and wish I had bought 100, but the garage and the truck is only so big. The German ammo has paid for itself over 5 times by now, and I still have a good amout packed away for me and my kids. They are a little more expensive than AIM, but the shipping kills us on the West Coast so JG is a good option for us Westerners. They even asked me once if I wanted the empty cases the Russian rifles came in for free, but no room in the truck or garage for that. They do great business at the Phoenix gun show, so it is hard to look over stuff there.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
J&G is a pain to deal with. I only buy from them when I absolutely have to. Buying from them face to face is an even bigger pain. They INSIST on you providing a drivers license to buy any and all ammunition. Even if you just want to purchase a bottle of Break Free they want your name, address, and zip code. At times their employees clearly demonstrate an "I don't really care if you buy this or not" attitude.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I went in there one time And they treated me like a BUM till I pulled out the FFL and the C cards then everything was diffrent. I dident like that and left with out buying anything.

Im only about 600 miles from them and there shipping is about the same as aim surplus. Both are to HIGH!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts