Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my first Thompson..
It is a West Hurley made 1927A1. 124** serial number range.
It is in excellent non fired condition(appears to be). - Came with 1 stick and 1 drum mag.

Ended up paying $600 for it out the door. I know I got a fair deal as I see thompsons selling for around $800 on the secondary market..
But I know little more than that, I have researched the serial and its an 1982?
Is there anything else worth knowing about this one? Are certain production locations better than others?

Always wanted one, this is going to be a keeper.

Pictures coming in about 20 minutes.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same phone, crappy pictures.
I figured my info would be enough to get information.. These rifles all look alike afterall.

I will try and figure out this new camera this weekend.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Whether West Hurley (Numrich/Gun Parts Corp) is better or worse than Kahr Arms is a toss up.
Some people will tell you the later West Hurley were awful junk, and others will tell you the Kahr's are terrible.

What you have to do is just ignore all that and judge the gun on it's own merits.
Guns are not vintages of wine: There are no "good years" or "bad years", there are just good or bad guns.

People will tell you how inaccurate these are, but that's more a function of the fixed and rather crude sights.
If you can afford and can find an original fully adjustable Lyman made Thompson rear sight, the accuracy will be far better since you can adjust it to get on target.
Plus, the better sight will allow more accurate shooting due to a better sight picture and "finer" sights.

Auto Ordnance specifically recommends NOT shooting steel cased ammo though the Thompson. The steel cases have proven to break the Thompson extractor.

Have fun, the Thompson is a real hoot.
Just be prepared to beat off the crowd wanting to look at it and shoot it.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Is the drum magazine one which holds 50 rounds like the originals or is it one of the Numrich modified drum mags which holds 10 rounds?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
There are several drum magazines for the commercial semi-auto Thompson.

There are original type 50 and 100 round drums, 39 round drums made in the later 1980's, and 10 round box magazines inserted into a round outer cover that looks like a 50 round drum. These are not converted 50 round drums.

I "THINK" (note the qualifier) that the newer 50 and 100 round drums are not exactly like the original drums. I "think" that some manufacturing short cuts were taken, but they operate the same as originals.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The magazine is a 50 round and it says Thompson on it(with the same arrowhead symbol as on the gun) so I assume it's an original drum magazine. It fit the gun extremely tight and took some work to get it seated right.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Even the later 50 and 100 round drums had most of the original type stamps, so that's no indication of age.
Original pre-war commercial drums are worth BIG money.

WWII military drums are worth good money.
Current made mags are not as expensive but still costy.
You'd need someone who knows more about drum collecting to give you an opinion as to how old the drum is.
Most likely, it's one made since the 1980's.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,100 Posts
Whether West Hurley (Numrich/Gun Parts Corp) is better or worse than Kahr Arms is a toss up.
Some people will tell you the later West Hurley were awful junk, and others will tell you the Kahr's are terrible.

What you have to do is just ignore all that and judge the gun on it's own merits.
Guns are not vintages of wine: There are no "good years" or "bad years", there are just good or bad guns.

People will tell you how inaccurate these are, but that's more a function of the fixed and rather crude sights.
If you can afford and can find an original fully adjustable Lyman made Thompson rear sight, the accuracy will be far better since you can adjust it to get on target.
Plus, the better sight will allow more accurate shooting due to a better sight picture and "finer" sights.

Auto Ordnance specifically recommends NOT shooting steel cased ammo though the Thompson. The steel cases have proven to break the Thompson extractor.

Have fun, the Thompson is a real hoot.
Just be prepared to beat off the crowd wanting to look at it and shoot it.
well said,

I was always told, and have observed, that they either work and run well, or not,

and the 'or nots' can usually be fixed so they do,

neat guns, never had a chance to shoot a 27,

(but have shot 27's M1's and M1A1's)

IIRC the magazines are semi only., NFA Thompson mags can be modified to fit,

and yep on the 10 round, they were made as a 10 round, not modified, (and not as well made, or rather don't feel as well made, as an original)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts