Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
The more I look at it, the more I am convinced it began life as a musket.

* Musket buttplate
* Musket rear band
* cutouts in stock for handguard springs
* hole in barrel for the original rear sight (the other hole is either hidden by the rear sight or went where the dovetail was)
These features are also correct for a carbine.
This appears to be a carbine that at some point suffered at the hands of Bubba.
Barrel handguard removed (and either lost or discarded), and original military-style rear sight (attached with two screws) replaced with a dove-tail sporting type.

mikesm44,
If you plan on shooting this one, remember it's intended ammunition was .30-'06 with a 150 grain bullet travelling around 2700 fps.

Jim

· Silver Bullet member
32,052 Posts
The carbines came with the sliding trapdoor buttplate as well?

Is there a way to tell if it is indeed a carbine and Bubba didn't just cut down a musket stock?

My frame of reference comes from restoring a Russian-contract 1895 and helping others find parts and such.

· Registered
175 Posts
The carbines came with the sliding trapdoor buttplate as well?
Yes

Is there a way to tell if it is indeed a carbine and Bubba didn't just cut down a musket stock?
A Carbine buttstock will not have the inlet for the rear swivel base in it's bottom surface. Note, however, that there were a number of carbines assembled using musket buttstocks (rejected from the Russian contract), but with the swivel base inlet filled in with a wooden plug.

Carbines were fitted with a 22-inch barrel (actually 21-7/8 +/-1/32, or 21-15/16 +/-3/64), and like all other versions of the Model 1895 the face of the muzzle was flat rather than having a rounded crown. A flat muzzle is difficult to do correctly, and the majority of cut-down muskets will have a rounded crown at the muzzle. Also, the front sight base on both carbines and muskets was integral with the barrel - shortening the barrel of a musket to carbine length would require the fitting of a new front sight base to the barrel or the cutting of a dovetail.

Jim

1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
No, you will need an 1895 carbine rear sight. You could try EBAY unless someone on here can hook you up.
Okay. Thank you. Also, how will I attach the stock? There does not appear to be space at the rear against the receiver for the tab to fit into. Do I need something to attach it to the lower part of the stock? It looks like it had indentations. Thank you.

· Registered
730 Posts
Someone on here may correct me, 1895's are not my forte but I think the top wood should have two spring steel clips forward and aft fitting into recesses in the bottom wood. You could google 1895 Winchester images and probably see the arrangement.

1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Someone on here may correct me, 1895's are not my forte but I think the top wood should have two spring steel clips forward and aft fitting into recesses in the bottom wood. You could google 1895 Winchester images and probably see the arrangement.
That would make sense. I can see where they would go into the wood.

· Silver Bullet member
32,052 Posts
Yep, that handguard "needs fitting" and to be honest, you would do better to read my Restoration thread in the Workbench section and get one from the supplier I mentioned--which already comes with the spring steel clips.

I just remembered that yours is *not* from the Russian Contract, so someone out there does make reproduction rear sights, but I can't find them right now, I think you need to see where I reference them and then feed it into the Wayback Machine. From what I remember, they were not cheap.

Did you ever confirm if the second screw hole is under the current rear sight? The nightmare would be if its where the dovetail goes.

While its a bit larger, a Krag-Jorgensen rear sight will fit in the same screw holes. In fact I have seen some images online of 1895s with Krag rear sights on them.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.