Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Silver Bullet member
32,052 Posts
If its under a grand, run, don't walk, to the bank and buy it.

Went through the Maryland Arms Collector Show last weekend, not a single 1895 in .30-06 to be had for under two grand, and most were over three.

· Silver Bullet member
32,052 Posts
Is that zebra thing a tablecloth or sheet?

It does look really nice, I am curious if the buttplate has the trapdoor like the Russian-contract rifles or not. My modest theory is that Winchester used a lot of the Russian contract parts on later guns.

· Silver Bullet member
32,052 Posts
If you are taking requests for photos, how about the rear sight from the top and that stock area? I want to see if it began life as a musket.

Awesome tablecloth, I want one. Any girlfriend who doesn't mind you taking photos on the dining room table is a keeper

· Silver Bullet member
32,052 Posts
Thanks

The more I look at it, the more I am convinced it began life as a musket.

* Musket buttplate
* Musket rear band
* cutouts in stock for handguard springs
* hole in barrel for the original rear sight (the other hole is either hidden by the rear sight or went where the dovetail was)

One more quick check--does it have a rear sling swivel base or does it look like it used to have one?

The other things to check that would involve some disassembly would be to look for that second rear sight hole, and remove the forestock to see if it has a T-shaped lug.

I still have a "needs fitting" forestock I would be willing to send you. Also, if you want to know what a restoration would look like, check out this thread:

forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?178480-Fushigi-s-Folly-restoring-a-Russian-Contract-Winchester-1895

· Silver Bullet member
32,052 Posts
PM me with your address

Just a heads-up, its not so much a "needs fitting" forestock as it is a hunk of walnut vaguely shaped like a Winchester 1895 forestock. My brother-in-law stated once he was done fitting mine, that he might have been better off starting with a stock blank. That being said, I would feel guilty asking for money, just cover my postage.

Whats starting to throw me now is that Winchester also made a version that looks like your stock length but otherwise has musket parts

So here are some reference sites

http://homestead-service.com/appraisals/1895/1895model-configurations.htm

http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1895/model_95.shtml

That barrel length is also making me wonder....

· Silver Bullet member
32,052 Posts
The carbines came with the sliding trapdoor buttplate as well?

Is there a way to tell if it is indeed a carbine and Bubba didn't just cut down a musket stock?

My frame of reference comes from restoring a Russian-contract 1895 and helping others find parts and such.

· Silver Bullet member
32,052 Posts
Yep, that handguard "needs fitting" and to be honest, you would do better to read my Restoration thread in the Workbench section and get one from the supplier I mentioned--which already comes with the spring steel clips.

I just remembered that yours is *not* from the Russian Contract, so someone out there does make reproduction rear sights, but I can't find them right now, I think you need to see where I reference them and then feed it into the Wayback Machine. From what I remember, they were not cheap.

Did you ever confirm if the second screw hole is under the current rear sight? The nightmare would be if its where the dovetail goes.

While its a bit larger, a Krag-Jorgensen rear sight will fit in the same screw holes. In fact I have seen some images online of 1895s with Krag rear sights on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.