Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Mosin-Nagant 91/59 "Special Honor Guard model" rifle from aimsurplus yesterday. Hehe..just joking about the "honor guard" thing, but I would like to know what everyone recommends in getting for cleaning the weapon. It really looks top notch and I would like to keep it that way. Only bad thing is a bolt has some yellow stains on it. Anyway to get the bolt to look new again?

Thanks...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Like Ted said, I use good old #9 also. I also like to recheck any firearm I clean a few days later just to make sure everything is fine, it gives me a little peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I "third" the Hoppe's #9...not just because my grandfather introduced me to it 50 years ago, but because it works 24/7/365. It will draw microscopic powder and jacket particles from the grain of the steel. It does work slowly and anyone expecting to remove decades of built-up trash in a bore layered under 50K psi pressure shot by shot with only a swipe or two will be disappointed. Get it "clean" and check it a few days later, and then after a week or more. Just swab it with a Hoppe's patch and do not follow up with a dry or an oily patch and set it aside. There are other good products out there and I have tried most of them. I prefer Hoppe's. DDR

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've placed stocks on news papers on the dash of vehicles in the sun.
You'd be surprised how much they sweat out. Then start your finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts