Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

Last weekend my friend and I decided to make a trip to a nearby gun show and then hit the range afterward. At the show I picked up a very nice Remington 513-T target rifle. The fella had 2 of them; this one, and an older one. The older one had a light coating of rust over most of the metal, including the rear target sight. The one I purchased seemed much nicer; No rust, plenty of color on the case hardened bolt, mirror bore, and the Redfield target sight is in great shape. The bluing in some spots is pretty much gone, but I plan to leave it that way. I like things that have a bit of wear on them. Just means they're broken in already and I don't have to do it. After a little research when I got home, I found that this one was made in November of 1952.

I ended up paying $500 for it, having very little idea what exactly it was or was worth, I took a chance. Seems to be the upper end of average price. If I got ripped off at all, it wasn't by much. Besides, I had been really wanting a .22 target rifle and also having been programed to love Remington by my grandfather(lol) I just couldn't resist. I really like this rifle.

My first question is regarding the sights. It has Redfield 70RST rear sight and a Redfield globe front sight with one insert(I wouldn't mind getting a couple different ones some day to try out). When we left the show and hit the range the weather was pretty poor. Light rain and wind blowing from various directions at various speeds. Moreover, having never used a micrometer target sight before, I had little idea of how to use it. After a bit I got the thing shooting where I wanted it. Beer cans at 50yds was not problem, as the box I had my targets pinned to got drenched and collapsed. So precision shooting was pretty much out of the question. Before I go next time I would like to have a better grasp of what I'm doing with the sight. Could someone give me the basics, or give me an idea where to go from here? I'm not sure what the numbers are on the 'min' side and the 'yds' side is blank. For 50yds it was set to just over 30 'min'..?...how do I set it for 100yds, or 25?

The rifle also seems to have had some work done to it quite some time ago. About 1/16" of the stock for the entire length where it contacts the barrel has been removed and what looks to be cork(pretty hard) in it's place. I would assume that this is a bedding job that was done before epoxy was available...? I have not taken the rifle apart yet to get a closer look.

Please forgive me for not owning a digital camera with which to provide pics. :sorry:

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Chunga

·
Copper Bullet member
457 Posts
Well, This may help some: Min = minute of angle; one minute of angle equals 1 inch at 100 yds. Thus, if you move the the sight one min.; it will move the bullet impact one inch at 100 yards, 1/2 inch at 50 yds. and 2 inches at 200 yards. If you have a chart that shows the trajectary of the .22 ammo you are using, you can figure how many minutes you need to adjust for the range you want to shoot at. Lacking a chart, you will just have to shoot at the range you want and keep adjusting until you are in the center. Then you can write the range (yds.) on the blank side of the sight with a soft pencil or grease pencil, so you can set for the various ranges in the future. Or just write in your notes the number of minutes you need to set for each range.Frank

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.