Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this Mosin. I wiped the cosmoline off her last night. For being non-refurbished I think she's in great shape. The war-time stock shows 0 traces of shellac, and is also lacking take down notches at the rear band. It is a MM as most non-refurbs are. All the bolt parts, trigger, stock tip, cleaning rod, butt-plate, rear-sight, are all Izhevsk stamped.

It has some cool stock repairs using beech wood, also the hand guard must be a replacement as it is beech as well.

There is a patch repair here, though it's hard to see, Russian field repair? Looks trapezoidal.

Is this notch a factory cut? For the bayo.

Questions, comments, observations, condemnations, or congratulations are welcome. Thanks. Plan to go shoot her later today. I like the flavor of this one.

Whatcha think????

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Any pictures of the barrel shank? Those myriad of repairs remind me of my non-refurbished/nonimported m44; looks great. Also interesting that a non-refurb has cosmoline.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope you'll forgive me for omitting this. :)

It's actually a 1956 Chinese T53.

Thats why there are no pictures of the front sight base or shank. I think it has more Russian parts than Chinese though. I did not add the cleaning rod either, that's how it came.

It's one hell of a mutt though. Still not bad for $80.

Also, explains the cosmoline.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,880 Posts
The ones recently coming in from Albania are usually a mixmatch of parts. Same goes with the Chinese sks coming in from there.
A good portion of the Albanian export T53s I've seen are matching except for usually having mismatched Chinese or (occasionally) Soviet bolts. Probably substantially more of those than the complete mixmasters.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
A good portion of the Albanian export T53s I've seen are matching except for usually having mismatched Chinese or (occasionally) Soviet bolts. Probably substantially more of those than the complete mixmasters.
Well you guys are more into type 53s then i; but the most recent imports from albania (in the past month or so) are really rough and a complete mixmatch of bits. Buds is doing a 3 "broken" type 53s for $231; that just started in mid april.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...93/3+Broken+Type+53+Chinese+7.62x54R+Carbines

The ones they had back in early feb were in much better shape like the ones you are speaking of.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The only #'s matching part is the mag floor.

I think the T53 is a bargain. I don't know why so many people scoff at them. The machining is typically done very well, although they did not see an easy life.

On this one, it does not have a roll pin holding in the trigger, but rather a piece of steel that looks to be driven in and it is in there good. There are tool marks on the trigger leaf spring, so I don't know if Bujar did a trigger job at some time or if it was another expedient repair.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts