Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

A great uncle of mine recently gave me a Izhevsk M44 with accessories. I took it apart and looks in good shape with matching serials on the receiver, bolt, buttplate and magazine (and nowhere else). It was imported by CAI

One thing though, it came with a little cap-thingy that I cannot figure out the function for. Could anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks.

·
Diamond Member
7,625 Posts
Scotty, congratulations on the m44 and welcome to the boards. That item is a muzzle cover and is used when cleaning the barrel. It helps prevent damage to the rifle bore/crown when using the cleaning rod. Denny

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
You've got a good start on a future collection...and....welcome to Gunboards !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

I'm looking to take it out and put a few rounds though it soon. Is there any particular brands.grains y'all recommend? I've got a box of Wolf 148 grain, non-corrosive.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I'm looking to take it out and put a few rounds though it soon. Is there any particular brands.grains y'all recommend? I've got a box of Wolf 148 grain, non-corrosive.
I recommend that you try a variety of 7.62x54R until you find those that make both you and your rifle happy.

Each Mosin reportedly react differently with different ammo. You may also encounter other non-rifle limitations: cost, availability, local laws, range rules, etc.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Great on the M44. I am waiting for my M44 to show up. It will keep my 91/30s and M38 company. Now that you have one, you will need more so that it will not get lonely. :D

·
Banned
540 Posts
Try the Bulgarian 54r surplus made in the 1980's.Its readily available and a heck of a lot cheaper than Wolf.You just have to clean immediatly after shooting.

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
When you take it to the range the first time, hold it real tight against the shoulder: those M44s'll buck. Take enough ammo to try it out with the bayonet folded, and with the bayonet fixed. Sometimes the M44 point-of-impact is closer to the point-of-aim. Not always, but sometimes.

+1 on shooting corrosive ammo with efficient clean up: squirt windex into the barrel while still at the range. Run some windex soaked patches one-way down the bore. dry-patch until dry, or better yet, run a Hoppe's .30 cal bore snake down the bore to dry it.
Take it home and clean it with Hoppe's #9 and then oil it and put it away.
Enjoy your M44! ;)

·
Banned
540 Posts
Thanks again. I can't wait to try this thing out. I love the recoil of the AK, and I'm wondering how the MN recoil compares to my 12ga.
Depends on the type of .12 ga. It will have more than a semi auto and less than a double barrel or whatever.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Now that you have one, you will need more so that it will not get lonely. :D

This is true. I got tired of hearing my M44 complain about being lonely after only two months so I had to bring home a long legged 91/30 for it.

They are cuddling together right now. Maybe they will make me an M38 or something.

·
Registered
603 Posts
This is true. I got tired of hearing my M44 complain about being lonely after only two months so I had to bring home a long legged 91/30 for it.

They are cuddling together right now. Maybe they will make me an M38 or something.
Hungarian and Tula?--:eek: You will definitely get a Fin offspring. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.