Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also a sort of tutorial for those that ask for us to identify their snipers and then post bunches of pics that don't show the information needed to answer them. Here's one picture of a PU, everything one needs to identify it is there to see.

·
Silver Bullet Member
223 Posts
Still learning on these, but I'll take a shot.

1. left side barrel shank markings just above the woodline would indicate a 1942-45 Izhevsk made sniper. Can't make out the number or font so will assume for this exercise that it is original.

2. Scope base does not appear original as the ball joint buttress is squared off rather than rounded. It's grayish color stood out as well.

3. Mounts are tough for me. This one looks good with it polished steel surface. Would check the back side for machining marks. I don't see any proofs, but may just be the picture. No electro-penciling is evident either. Help me, not sure which way to go.

4. Scope I am fairly confident is a SVT style scope which would be accurate on a 91/30. It would be interesting to see if it was calibrated for a 91/30 by looking for the "CB" mark either on the tube or elevation turret (just learned this one today; thanks SturmGrenadier).

OK, so there it is. How did I fail?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
Let me take a shot at it:

1. The rifle was produced between Nov 1942 and Jan 1943.
2. The scope was refurbed twice (one time during the war).
3. The rifle was officially issued to two soviet snipers during the war (the first name of one of them started with "F", most likely "Fedor", possibly "Frol" or "Filaret".
4. Post war the rifle was refurbed at factory 732/7-A and stored in warehouse #3285 till it was shipped to Vietnam.
5. In Vietnam it switched hands at least two times.
6. "Bring back" papers were misplaced in 1986.

P.S.: These are the obvious things, of course. I will need more pictures to give you guys some details.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,399 Posts
The only thig that looks wrong with it is the scope base; can't tell but mount looks like maybe a post War as well. The scope is CB marked, so looks correct. The scope number on the barrel shank doesn't appear to be the same as the scope, so it not the original scope if rifle is correct...I'll have to leave it to the experts, but I'm guessing that Dmitry is "pulling your leg"...:rolleyes:

·
Gold Bullet member
2,096 Posts
well, the mount looks a little smooth for wartime production, but I'm probably wrong as the soviets put more care into sniper rifle production than I often assume, especially in the early stages. As to the squared-off ball joint buttress on the base, I've seen a few of these on legit, early-production 1942 PU's, including at least one in the sniper section at mosinnagant.net, which I believe may also have been a finn-capture with an early alloy scope, so that may very well be legit, too. Just my personal impression, I may not be 100% correct.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, heres what I see.

Barrel shank and rear of receiver are dull, rough finish. front ring of receiver has been smoothed, and very light import stamping by Aztec is visable. This tells us that the rifle is a ex sniper. Scope and mount are vintage 42 items, proof stampings are just visable just behind the ball cup at front of mount. Base is postwar, with dull phosphate finish. We have a restored 1942 Izhevsk exsniper. Very accurate also!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.