Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,248 Posts
Very nice, those look fine enough for any room. I've been planning to build some of my own, and since mine would have to be relegated to a "man cave" setting, I may do something a little different. I think that instead of being in some nice furniture-style finish, mine will be in a "Mosin crate motif" (you know, some garish shade of gloss olive green), and I'll just build them the best I can and let my lack of refinement as a woodworker add the "rustic" flavor.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,038 Posts
Very nice work. Love the ammo holding spot on bottom. Nice finish too.
Didn't make the first two(unless you count putting them together lol) but the 3rd one i got all parts from lowes

·
Silver Bullet Member
182 Posts
Looks awesome, great job. Mine looks ugly compared to yours, but it is functional. Should have done the storage underneath like you did.

Mike

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,480 Posts
Shoot, I like all of y'alls projects. Just in time too; as I have been studying on it myself for my closet. The first one is closest to my planning. What did you use for the back board? Cabinet Plywood?

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Shoot, I like all of y'alls projects. Just in time too; as I have been studying on it myself for my closet. The first one is closest to my planning. What did you use for the back board? Cabinet Plywood?
I can't do pictures - And at the moment, the racks are in the attic...(I'm in a wheelchair, and can't get to them)

For in the closet, I made a round base something like 2 feet in diameter. A smaller "top" to hold something like 15-20 Mosins.
Then made a "fancy" x-shaped "legs" under it.
I joined the legs to the base with a big (like 16 inches) diameter "lazy susan" bearing. I don't remember what they are called (did it years ago) but they came from Granger or McMaster Carr........
On top of the plywood "base", a ~30 inch piece pipe with a flange on either end. (to screw it to both the top and bottom).
The top piece is round (with very shallow notches) I also put "coat hanger pegs" also from McMaster into the top on either side of the notch.
The "pegs" are to hold a super heavy duty wlastic. Although pieces of bicycle inner tube would also work.

Works great. Doesn't take a lot of room. and you can spin it to get to the rifles in the back. If I can get my nephew to take a few pics and post them I will. But like I said, I can't get to them (and at the moment, I'm not sure where my camers is)

edit to add -

here's a link for the bearings.......they are not cheep -
(click on - Large Diameter Ring-Style Turntables)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#turntables/=hfomgh

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,480 Posts
Just thinking about one for 4 or 5 rifles and a shotgun in the walk in closet. Just the "need 'em now" guns: 308, 870 pump, etc.

·
Silver Bullet Member
182 Posts
The wife was getting tired of all the clothes in MBR closet smelling like cosmoline. So we built ours and just stained it with Old English Dark Oil Scratch Remover, just wiped it on then wiped it off. I sure do miss the smell of cosmoline in the morning though. Have room for 3 more rifles then we'll have to make another one, good thing I kept the template for ours.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,038 Posts
Amx, do you always store you're mosins with the action open?

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Amx, do you always store you're mosins with the action open?
I don't know whether he does or not but I sure do to keep them from banging into each other in my over filled safes. I don't even want to hear the you know they are cocked statement! How many have you had fail in the way of firing springs. The rifles are 75 to 100 years old and how many years do you think it will take for them to fail? Not in my lifetime or more than likely yours either. Not a valid argument trust me! Bill

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,038 Posts
I don't know whether he does or not but I sure do to keep them from banging into each other in my over filled safes. I don't even want to hear the you know they are cocked statement! How many have you had fail in the way of firing springs. The rifles are 75 to 100 years old and how many years do you think it will take for them to fail? Not in my lifetime or more than likely yours either. Not a valid argument trust me! Bill
Not trying to argue at all. Was curious on why he did it so maybe I would consider doing it to Mine if it was better for the gun. Calm down bill, think about doubling the dose.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Not trying to argue at all. Was curious on why he did it so maybe I would consider doing it to Mine if it was better for the gun. Calm down bill, think about doubling the dose.

Took my ire out on you didn't I? Pal I am just so sick and tired of the eternal store with bolt open or shut argument I jumped on you with both feet before you got a chance to start. Knee jerk reaction sorry about that! Where the heck are those meds again? Apologies forthcoming! Sorry about that! Bill

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.