Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really like the front sight on mosins so as the site was down last night I had time to think and this is what I came up with:D

1. acquire a sks front sight assembly (complete)
2. acquire a spare mosin front site assembly (in my case an M44 type)
3. measure the the mosin and scribe a line on the sks so the base of the sight are equal measurements
4. cut the sks sight and round off the base edges
5. weld the sks sight to the mosin and grind to a nice flush look and re-blue

now you have a mosin with adjustable windage and elevation.

to all of you guys who are master gunsmiths are reading this thinking what is he trying to say?

well its a lot easier for me to do it than to explain it. I have it all drawn out on paper and took all of the measurement using a non digital caliper

It will work and it will be fairly easy to do

what do you guys think about this mod? I reviewed the other sight mods but the sks sight to me is the easiest to use for me

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i have been thinking about a similar front sight alteration myself. it has merits and at first glance, may look like it belongs there. it would be important to establish your assembled front sight height before welding, to place it within your required range of elevation adjustment. to be more subtle, i plan on using a spare rear sight elevation ladder, filing one side and shimming the other at the pivot pin to help adjust for windage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts