Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it might be dumb to many but if I never ask, I will always remain dumb i suppose.

I notice that many and significantly many mauser bayonets are always missing the "ring that mounts on the barrel".
Is there a reason for this ?
Were many numbers of bayonets grinded down for any particular reason maybe by the governments or armouries?
You find the same deal on many other bayonets as well but you can tell they were just for porprose to make a nicer usefull knife (at the time), but it just seems way to much more common in Mauser bayonets.

·
Silver Bullet member
599 Posts
Hi TrelosGreek
Most Mausers use a bar vs. a bayonet lug. The bar extends through the handle providing the stability. Lug mounted bayonets are only fastened at the rear of the hilt, and therefore, require the muzzle ring for front support.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
The Germans found that a muzzle ring affected accuracy, and since most Mauser rifles came out of the Mauser factory rather than FN or domestic production, the vast majority had the new-model-year features. Some countries who'd bought earlier patterns or had their own ideas didn't agree, since the ring is supposedly sturdier.

·
8,107 Posts
Germany was the biggest user of the ring-less bayonets. The development of the long lug for fixing the bayonet was developed by Germany with the adoption of the Gew98 and extended to the Kar98, Kar98a, Kar98b and Kar98k. Since the ring on the bayonet was considered detrimental to accuracy when the bayonet was fixed, all German bayonets from the long Sg98 through the Sg84/98III (1898 - 1945) were made without rings. Most other nations, even those using a long lug bayonet mount (example: Czechoslovakia and Poland) continued using the ring since it was felt that it made the bayonet more secure in use.

·
Silver Bullet member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, there you go , I knew there must have been a real good reason. Thank you for shedding light to a question that has plaqued me for a long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.