Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
Joined
·
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking some pics and decided to take a couple of baby pics. The first is my SA marked 1929 Izhevsk Dragoon (pawnshop at a steal) and the second is my 1940 28/30 that I had to wait at a glassware auction for 6 hrs. to bid on($85). It had been stripped to the Arctic Birch finish and polyd. I researched and made my Pine tar mix as close as I could get it. Hope you enjoy and Merry Xmas to all! John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
Scrubbed marking

Noticed the scrubbed Ishevsk symbol on the '29 dated Dragoon. I have one similar. Who in the world would scrb that mark?? It was obviously done after the Finnish refurbishment.

Has there been an explanation or thoughts about the scrubbing. Just seems a little odd. (Another layer of the rifles history.)

BTW Nice rifles!!

Draybo (Thinking... "$85 for a nice Finn., it was worth hanging around.")
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
Outstanding refinish indeed! Gotta love the way pine tar enhances the figure in the birch, though the scent is an acquired taste. Pretty pungent, but like Hoppes and cosmoline, it grows on you! I did nearly the same exact restoration to a bubba'd M/28-30 last year, see
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=54323&referrerid=223
Finished the stock with a red tinted stain then sealed with clear amber lacquer to get as close to an original finish as possible.
Cheers,
mawkie
 

·
Gold Bullet member
Joined
·
4,816 Posts
... and the second is my 1940 28/30 that I had to wait at a glassware auction for 6 hrs. to bid on($85)....
At least you got it for $85 and there wasn't someone else waiting 6 hrs at the auction to bid against you...:eek:
 

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
Joined
·
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I went to an auction a couple of weeks before this one and lost out on a Kovrov SVT-40 . I went loaded for bear to this one.
 

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
Joined
·
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The best way I found to strip the poly was to take a plumbers torch and heat it up and then I took a piece of old towel and laid it on it and let the cotton absorb the poly. I did that for what seemed like forever and then used citristrip to remove the remaining poly. I figure I had about 12-14 hrs. just in removing that crap. The Dragoon was marked "Rushan" and $100. Ya' gotta love those pawnshop guys. I cleaned the bore as it was real cruddy and eventually over the past several years have managed to find the bottom of the buildup. When I first slugged it is was .306-.307 and now is .311. Darned accurate now!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top