Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I could use some advice. I am new to military rifle collecting. I have a couple of Chilean Mausers 1895 (one long rifle and one short) and I've recently requested the forms needed for getting a C&R License :). I'm trying to plan ahead for what my first purchases will be but I need some help. I really like the Mausers I've gotten so far but I'm open to other military rifles. I am 60 years old and really not in the market for anything that is going to kill my shoulder having fun with it. Having said that, I'm really open to any and all advice that you might have for me. Any suggestions for a couple of my next purchases? This is my first post on this forum and I've really enjoyed reading everyone's comments. Thanks for any and all help.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Get yourself a Swedish Mauser. Very well made. Light recoil for the Swedish 6.5 round. Nice ones can be found for around $250-300. Welcome to Gunboards. Have fun.

·
Gold Bullet member
248 Posts
Might want to think about 7mm chamberings too...lots of south american Mausers chambered in that caliber and they won't break the bank unless you're looking for mint examples. Recoil is maybe not quite as easy on the shoulder as a 6.5 but way less than an 8mm.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
mauserdad nailed it. Start with Swedes. Two makers of M96, two makers of M94, one maker of M38 and then there are conversions M94/14 and M96/38. You could build a tidy collection in a couple of years if you do not look for mint specimens.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I really like the Mausers I've gotten so far but I'm open to other military rifles. I am 60 years old and really not in the market for anything that is going to kill my shoulder having fun with it.
Type 99 Arisaka. Easy to reload for once you get the brass and very easy on the shoulder.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
There are a lot of mausers out there.

The Czech 98/22 's are a long rifle (Gew 98 or 29 inch barrel length) milsurp that is presently available in good condition and cheap. The Czech vz24's and the Yugoslav 24/47's are short rifles (24 inch barrels, approximately) that are available in great condition for shooters. These were refurbished during the Cold War and kept in reserve until recently, waiting for WWIII. You can still find an occaisional Brazillian 7x57 with a good bore at a reasonable price. The Swedish rifles represent first class workmanship and the 6.5x55 cartridge has a well earned reputaion for accuracy. There are quite a few different rifles available at gun shows and my biggest admonishment would be to not flinch from spending an extra fifty dollars for better condition. The old timers will tell you that they bought one in much better condition for less only a few years ago and your repsonse should be- "Well, in a few years, I'll buy it from your estate for peanuts". Pay a little extra for above average condition and you will find it wears well in your collection. Decide on a few really desireable items (mine was the Peruvian 1909) and you will eventually find one. In the mean time, collect, shoot and enjoy!

·
Registered
99 Posts
If....IF.....you don't have one, everyone NEEDS a Garand! On Mausers, my best deal to date was on a VZ24 found on Gunbroker with the lion crest. Lots of scrubbing the barrel before its first trip to the range with its German brothers and wouldn't you know....it made them all look bad! Swiss K31's are NICE as well, and Finn M39's, M1 carbine is my wife's favorite, The brazilian Mausers are beauties too! Just buy several of everything...you're going to anyway, cause milsurps are like crack! I'm waiting for my wife to have an intervention for me!

GregM

·
Gold Bullet member
2,123 Posts
Welcome to Gunboards, mauserhooked! Lots of good suggestions for you in other posts, I'll take a different path...as far as recoil goes, I'm with you, I don't like to get beat up at the range. First idea, get yourself one of these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=284105
I can shoot all day, really damps the recoil.
The other thing to look into is reloading, then you can tailor loads to your rifles, and make reduced recoil loads that are accurate and fun to shoot.
Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.