Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by a little pawn shop here in town today just to see what the fella had. I'd never been in there so why not. Anyway, the guy had about 6 Chinese SKS's. None were all that great a shape, but one did stand out because it had the red/brown bakelite stock on it. Prices on all the SKS's were between $200 and $220. I think the plastic stock one had two hundred on it and was all matching but missing the bayonet. All The SKS's had their bayonets removed, a couple missing their magazines. Does the plastic stock make it worth more or not? Just curious, i'm not really in the market for one but you don't see the plastic stock one very often. Also can anyone give me the straight scoop on the bayonets being removed on only the Chinese ones. YOu still see alot of Chinese SKS's with their bayonets intact so what was the deal. I bought my Chinese a little while before the law went into effect back in '93 i think it was.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Stopped by a little pawn shop here in town today just to see what the fella had. I'd never been in there so why not. Anyway, the guy had about 6 Chinese SKS's. None were all that great a shape, but one did stand out because it had the red/brown bakelite stock on it. Prices on all the SKS's were between $200 and $220. I think the plastic stock one had two hundred on it and was all matching but missing the bayonet. All The SKS's had their bayonets removed, a couple missing their magazines. Does the plastic stock make it worth more or not? Just curious, i'm not really in the market for one but you don't see the plastic stock one very often. Also can anyone give me the straight scoop on the bayonets being removed on only the Chinese ones. YOu still see alot of Chinese SKS's with their bayonets intact so what was the deal. I bought my Chinese a little while before the law went into effect back in '93 i think it was.
I like the Chinese fiberglass stocks only because they can be painted, there was a company like 10 years ago who painted them professionally and boy were they nice. I think they went out of business thier name was no ugly guns I think

·
Registered
243 Posts
Although the plastic stocks are getting harder to find than they were and there are much less than the wooden they don't seem to command a premium and really wouldn't be considered more valuable unless someone was looking to fill a "hole" in their collection (there are also different variations of the "jungle" stock as well).

The stocks themselves can also still be found and no real way to verify if the rifle was originally imported in that configuration.

Your prices seem in line although missing original mags pushes the value down.

The bayonets were banned on the Chinese as a "non- sporting" feature. The Chinese SKSs were imported as commercial sporting rifles and are not recognized as C&R like models from other countries. The C&R SKSs can be kept in original military configuration

·
Silver Bullet member
12,931 Posts
a matching # wood stock makes it worth more, missing mags..... i would'nt want one unles it was real cheap.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I just like you ran into a chinese jungle-stock sks at pawn shop, missing the bay. did have clean. rod and had a 40 round mag. price was $239.95
could get it for $200. Cond. was 99.%. It also had the jungle sling which had the leather tabs replaced by a round coil wire!
went on 4 diff. forums asking? all said buy it!
So i did and i love it it has a rare code in the triangle 0405 which is not even known on any forums, some were imported (a few) with this stock!
but most of those bake-lite stocks were sold in the 80s in the US!
In general it is imp. to date a chin. sks that is why they are not C&R elig.
However if you look at the rifle and if the ferrule (metal cap which keeps ft. of stock in place) has a V cut into it and if the stock has a 1/4 in. wide groove in it, that would indicate that is was original equip!
However make sure that upper hand-guard has a lightly texturized surface, but no ribs and should match color of stock! there were ribbed and text. guards put on certain wood-stocked ones in the 80s! These are referred to as French-Ticklers but were not issued with the original Jungle-stocks.
A original repl. mag is now $40. Blade bay. are somewhat scarse but
a standard 12 1/4in. with a 9 in. blade will fit, except for a Yugo it wont fit. But there might be a 922 issue!
The Chinese only used a Blade bay. from 64-66 and then went to the spike! So if all matches what i descr. it would be a rare 64-66 jungle-stock
issue. however on any sks rare or scarse does not mean much on a monetary basis!
These stocks and new slings were alledgedly developed for Viet-Nam, however if they were used there, nobody can prove or disprove this statement! If all is in good shape it would be a good deal at $250.
Somebody is selling these Blade-bay. stocks on net for $50. but states
they need to be modified to accept a spike by widening the groove!
Good luck! Let us know if you get it! :D

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
50,528 Posts
On these stocks it's best to remember that the recoil lug between the two types (pinned barrel and threaded) is in slightly different places so if it's pinned barrel in a threaded barrel stock or the other way around there might be bedding issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts