Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Top o' the morn all! I've owned several Enfields of all types over the years,and regrettably strayed into different collecting direction,from my favorite arm of arms.Just got back into the scheme of it with a nice 1917 Enfield built No1MkIII* in non import all matching shape,with Wilkie bayo.Now I'm expanding the lot with generous bid on my all time fave of Enfields,a No5 "jungle carbine".However,this one has a 10/44 date and ROF(F) build mark,no imports and all the correct features,aka barrel flutes,milled cut in the rec. and bolt knob and T.guard,ect...Also has a '44 dated sling involved.SO,what say yea about that date? Sound OK? It's electropenciled as the rest of the rec. markings,the butt rubber pad is well chipped and worn,and the stove paint is @60%.Nice sharp bore,and no other police or militia(Malaysian,ect.) marking.Perhaps she engaged a Japanese fellow or two in the CBI? Or just fanciful thinking? I'll probably have $400US in her when it goes through....My SMLE acquisition...

·
Registered
370 Posts
A build date of 10/44 for a Fazakerly is correct. Mine is also built 10/44 and has a B prefixed serial number in the 9,000 range.
Can't help with the disk, although R.S. is Royal Scots.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I suspect the disk is for the Royal Scots Fusiliers; although I note in Ian Skennerton's book "The Broadarrow" he shows that regiment's ID as S.F. which I don't think is correct.

·
Registered
30 Posts
RSF

ALTHOUGH......I don't think that the R. Scots Fus had 11 batallions in WWI, which is what the '11' would indicate. Also, it was rare for SMLEs to have butt discs after 1915/16 in WWI.

Steve

·
Registered
64 Posts
Battalions in WW1

Many of the regiments had multiple battalions, I seem to remember that at least one Scottish regiment had something like 28 battalions in WW1

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Per regiments.org, the RSF had an 11th Battalion in both wars. As mentioned above, most regiments had "conflict only" battalions during the world wars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts