Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is $250 a goood price for a perfect condition enfeild jungle carbine??? anyone??

EDIT!!! It is a C.A.I import they wouldnt be selling knockoffs would they im pretty sure its genuine and i have the price knocked down to $175
should i jump on it fast? or what? i need the money, though i am a collector amerature myself can i make a good bit of money off of this?
its date is 8/45

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Like this one?

$250 is a great price for a "perfect condition" No5 rifle, or Jungle Carbine.
If, as Sluggo says, that's what you are looking at.
Fakes abound---be sure the one you are looking at resembles the one pictured here as to markings on the left of the receiver and the metal machining around the rear sight.
Fakes made from No4 rifle receivers have different marking and carry more metal around the sight.
Don't get stung.
-----krinko

·
Registered
100 Posts
No5 mk1

i recentley bought an authentic No5 mk1 , in superb refurb order, in origonal 303 cal ..£700- ($1000 USD approx ) an investment i'd say..buy it !! ;) if it has the same marking as the pic your on to a winner for $250 !!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Your market is much larger John and so has economies of scale and greater competition.

Deacts cost more for two reasons: Anything that does not require a Firearms Certificate is more attractive a buy because of the hassle of getting one with a justification requirement for each firearm on it.

The United Kingdom has some of the toughest Firearms laws on earth. For example, some firearms that do not need any kind of license in most parts of Europe and the US are tightly controlled here - some of them being Prohibited Weapons. (Not licensable) That state of affairs alone shrinks the market. Had it not been for the Second World War, our firearms manufacturing industry would have been destroyed a lot earlier than it was.

Second, deactivation costs money, in terms of the engineering plus a charge by the Proof House.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,670 Posts
Pay close attention to the cutout in the stock for the sling. The floorplate is different too. There are a zillion posts here that explains the differences in great detail. $250 is very very cheap....use caution and do your homework. If indeed it is genuine, you are lucky to find one at that price.....in any condition!Regards, Rick.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is $250 a goood price for a perfect condition enfeild jungle carbine??? anyone??

EDIT!!! It is a C.A.I import they wouldnt be selling knockoffs would they im pretty sure its genuine and i have the price knocked down to $175
should i jump on it fast? or what? i need the money, though i am a collector amerature myself can i make a good bit of money off of this?
its date is 8/45

The 8/45 date is in the correct period for a No5; it it marked as a No5?

The simplest way to check is to examine the receiver under the rear sight for the lightening cuts as shown in Krinko's and RH777's postings. No4s have been "converted" by shortening barrels and reworking the wood, but I've never seen (nor heard of) such a conversion where the receiver and/or barrel shank were touched.

If it's a genuine No5, $250 is a good price for a solid well-used example. For a "perfect condition" example it is a VERY good price. CAI has imported quite a few No5s over the years, so their import mark is no immediate grounds for concern. If it's their recent dot-matrix "billboard" marking on the receiver I would give the rifle a bit more scrutiny, as there just aren't that many No5s in good condition left to be imported, but the older stamping on the barrel by the muzzle would not be surprising.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.