Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i went ahead and removed some of the grinder marks and uneven cut on the flashhider. the two lower targets are the .303. used both sierra and hornady 150s' backed by 38 of varget. nice plinking load. i also took a ,22 and a 7mm mauser carbine.
well the N0.5 has passed all my initial tests for shooting. groups are fair and move as i adjust em. this will be the zero for the irons.
the only bad, is that the rear sight must be at 400-450 for zero. im going to mount a S&K soon. my old eyes just don't work no more.
Cheers
Sol

Attachments

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
the only bad, is that the rear sight must be at 400-450 for zero.
I am guessing your groups were shot at 100 yards? Your 'old eyes' seemed to do fairly well on those targets.

....on the other hand, you CAN install a longer front sight to help correct your elevation adjustment issue. They are not that hard to come across.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Many variables but so long as it can be sighted all is good. However, depending upon whether the sights needed to be raised or lowered dictates what type of sight blade is needed. If originally shooting low then a shorter front sight is in order.

Front sights are numbered to the thickness of their dovetail base.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
From my experience on the "zero" issue.

Bullet weight and different types of ammo can all be adjusted for by raising or lowering the rear sights.

I found that over the years of shooting a lot of #5MK1s that there are variations in the front sight that comes with the carbine.

ie. All of the carbines from the batch CIA got from Malaysia the initial shooting tests required the rear sight to be crancked up to 3 at 100 yds. in order for the POI to be at the POA.
Our gun club members and I bought a lot of that batch and ALL were the same as far as POI and POA and the rear sight adjustment.

POI- Point of Impact
POA- Point of aim just in case someone doesn't know the terms.

If the battle sights were used they would all shoot very low, no matter what ammo we used. How low, depended on the ammo used.

So it was SOP to just crank the rear sight up to 3 for 100 yds. for those particular carbines.

Other carbines that came from various sources would have front sights that had the POI the same as the POA, or close to it, with battle sights at 100 yds.

It was a crap shoot to what you would get on front sights.

With the wide variety of ammo and loads available it would be hard to make statements of absolutes. IMO

I recently sold a BSA #5MK1 all matching in almost new, exc. cond. no import stampings at all with dark walnut wood and exc. bore. A real beauty.

This carbine had been shot very little (1946) and the front sight was a shorter one and made the POI match the POA with the battle sights up to 100 yds. approx.
I would have liked to have known the history of that carbine.

Differences in ammo caused some variations, but could be compensated for easily.

It was not the ammo that caused the extreme variences in elevation, it was the front sights.

Since the OP mentioned a scope.

I have used a #5MK1 for coyote hunting in the SW desert for decades and when my eyes got to the point I no longer could use peep sights for hunting, I installed a scope.

The only mount I and other used that worked well and stood the test of time, without altering the carbine at all. Was the B square cheap mount that used the side extractor screw and the rear mount pin to install on the carbine.
Some of our shooters also cut down the rail to shorten it, since the long rail on the mount was really not needed. Made it look better.

However it required some alteration on the mounting procedure to work right.

The front mounting was not a problem using a extra long extractor screw provided with the mount IIRC.

The rear mount needed some tweaking and using a brass screw to mount it instead of the original rear mount pin.
Washers had to be installed to keep it from shifting to the side.

This method made the mount solid for years of shooting.

When done, it only takes minutes to remove the mount and replace the original.

Just for reference.

I tested all of the #5MK1s initially at 100 yds. then up to 400 yds.

I did shoot some at longer range, but did not consider it impt. Almost all of the coyote shooting was under 400 yds.

Most of the time I took along a long range shooting rifle, just in case. But never needed it.

The carbines would do fairly good at 600 yds. or so. But a moot point for me.

My requirments to label the carbine as a "shooter" would be five shots into a three inch shoot and see round target at 100 yds. All would have to be in the target.

At 400 yds. it had to hit the 2'by 3' steel plate consistantly to pass as a "shooter".

These were just the arbitrary requirments to use the carbine as a shooter.
Collecting aside.

On a side note. When .303 dried up we loaded two types of the best 54R milsurp ammo in GOOD Greek or equivalent brass. Using the bullet and powder from the original milsurp 54R. Worked well for years.
We discoverd quickly that S&B brass was not good for this application, cases would fail often.
The best 54R for this at the time was Bulgarian YT HB. Probably not available anylonger anywhere.

For hunting the ONLY ammo I used was Winchester ST. It was the most accurate .303 SP ammo I found and I used it for decades.
Don't know if that ammo is even made anylonger.

I still have a few boxes of it if details are needed. I don't remember the grain off hand.

IHTH

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the comments folks! ive owned now three No5's. i got one years ago,now long gone. the best ammo i ever had for it was British machine gun ammo in cloth belts. there were duds, but i remember shooting skeet's at 100 yd time and time again. the cartridge was filled with cordite? spaghetti looking strands. it was getting old and was not the most powerful stuff but real anne oakley accurate up to 100yards or so. father time is working his magic on me as well. my focal plane used to be so 'quick' it was like i had everything in focus at once! ah the day. now even with the peep, i have to use experience to get a shot off.
i got into this enfield 'thing' as a saw a cherry bsa No 5 some months ago. shot well low. as does the 'sporter' I am now going to scope it.
yea I wanted to experiment with groups before and after taking off the buggered flash hider but..... not sure on that one. for now im waiting. id like to press the hider off, but that lighted action makes me real paranoid. so for now its just reload and shoot! i do have some 174 FMJ hornady, and my eyes are peeled for some bullets.
cool idea on the 54r. that's OLD school, back when you could not get ammo. i remember taking 765 argie and fireforming it in 7.7 jap for a Japanese rifle. neck was short but it shot for sure.
or when the only SKS were Nam bringbacks and the ammo was $1 a round. but hell i could see then. and eat all i wanted. and walk forever. ha ha ha.
ill post when i reload some more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.