Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i tell if the the rifle i picked up is a real no5 jungle carbine and not a put together?
what should i look for?
thanks.
lee

·
Registered
237 Posts
Post pictures

And we can tell you.

Remove the upper handguard and see if the rear of the barrel has lightening scoops out of it.

There should be a clear view under the rear sight when seen from the side.

The rifle at left is a No5 "Jungle Carbine" the rifle at right is a No4

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,535 Posts
receiver

The markings on the left side of the receiver will say No. 5 Mk 1, (F) 11-46;
Faz rifles will be stamped, Maltby (?) will be hand etched. Indicative, but not always present are large hole in bottom of bolt knob; forestock may or may not have metal cap. Date of production is next to the model number, usually in the format of 11-46, 9-45, etc.
The butt stock will have a metal butt plate with rubber recoil pad that is smaller than the width of the metal plate. Flash hider with bayonet lug, of course. Later models had the serial number stamped into the forestock wood. Most wood that I've seen is dark walnut.

·
25,535 Posts
Faz

My Fazakerly is electro-pencilled as are all the ones that I have seen.
What year is yours? Most later ones were stamped. I'll post a picture later tonight. Post a picture if you can.

·
25,535 Posts
forgot to add this

for you, beerhunter (not to make any implication on your appearance) just funny. LOL

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
What year is yours? Most later ones were stamped. I'll post a picture later tonight. Post a picture if you can.
1947. As I said I've never seen a stamped Fazackerly. I'm almost sure that BSA engraved as well. They were the only two manufacturers oi No5s. Large numbers of No5s were FTR'd in Ishapore. They have the 'Ishy screw' but don't know whether they were stamped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts