Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ,over the weekend I picked up another Mark V Jungle Carbine with bayonet and sling. Now I have 2 . One of the guns has the black paint while the other has no evidence of it. They are both dated 1945 . In looking at the bayonets, I see one is stamped R 1945 and the other has no markings. I'm trying to make one gun that is a combination of the best of the sling, bayonet and gun. What would you suggest ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
So ,over the weekend I picked up another Mark V Jungle Carbine with bayonet and sling. Now I have 2 . One of the guns has the black paint while the other has no evidence of it. They are both dated 1945 . In looking at the bayonets, I see one is stamped R 1945 and the other has no markings. I'm trying to make one gun that is a combination of the best of the sling, bayonet and gun. What would you suggest ?
Bayonet envy. That is a problem I wish I had.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I detect this is all relatively new to you? Your nomenclature is off-base and can be very confusing to others.
Numbers and Marks mean entirely different things. Which means needing to make assumptions when trying to help someone. It’s a common thing and we try to translate the best we can.
For instance, a MkV rifle and a No5 rifle are two entirely different rifles from different eras.
You own a pair of NUMBER 5 Mark 1 rifles. Definitely not a MkV rifle. Your bayonets are Number 5 and only by coincidence the numbers match up to one another.
Another is your mention of MkIii bayonets. The most commonly encountered MkIII’s are the No4 MkIII and the India produced MkIII.
The first being a type of spike/socket bayonet and the other being a Pattern 1907 variant.
Do you see where it can get confusing to those who are fluent in the odd language?
To answer you question:
You may have seen Wilkinson spelled out on the ricasso on older bayonets. Most commonly the Pattern or P 1907. Intended for the SMLE variants including the SMLE/No1 Mklll and MkIII* variant rifles.
For your No5 bayonets, Wilkinson wartime codes were WSC, S294, and sometimes both. (As often found on the “Admiralty Contract” P1907.
Again found on the ricasso. That small flat area in between the forward part of the crosspiece and behind the runout of the blade edge.

For now I would advise keeping both. The Poole looks close to being original. The other looks to have been serviced/refurbished to some degree.

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've owned these .303 rifles for over 50 years , off and on. I never collected them , I just shot them . Right now I have a Mark III [ snub nose] , [which is what everyone I know calls them] , that has "FF" on the receiver , a Mark IV [ the later one ] and these 2 Jungle Carbines which is what everyone I know calls them . I plan on selling one of the carbines hence the question . Obviously you are more into these then I am and know all the correct terms for them . Sorry I wasn't clear about the models . Thanks for the post .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts