Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to buy the rifle to get the bayonet. The rifle is a ROF (F) and all parts look to have an F stamped on them. Except for the flashhider. It is marked M/47C. Is this a correct flashider for this rifle?

Thank you

IMG_3455.jpg IMG_3465.jpg

·
Registered
722 Posts
9/45 ROF(F) has the markings also. Hadn't noticed till now, paint is still quite thick over top. Good to see someone else has had trouble getting a good bayonet. Looks nice..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, there is a maker mark on the blade by the guard. Tried to get a good picture of the maker mark but the flash washes it out. Will try again. Had to give $600 for the bayonet. There is a bright side though. He threw in the rifle.

·
Registered
17,570 Posts
My ROF F , 1947 has a M47C marked flash hider.

The No.5 bayonet has always been high priced even in the 60s and hard to find / limited amounts ever for sale. I remember often in 70s and 80s wondering how a bayonet could almost be 50% the cost of the No.5 carbine itself.

The situation continues and the latest ratty No.5 bayonet I saw was at the $285 price tag w/o scabbard.

Perhaps some one knows why these bayonets are scarce and have always demanded outrageous prices.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
My ROF F , 1947 has a M47C marked flash hider.

Perhaps some one knows why these bayonets are scarce and have always demanded outrageous prices.
Leaving aside it is one of the few British bayonets of its era (and earlier) that is a reasonable length/shape for use as a knife/dagger which might make it more attractive, I always assumed that the short service life of the No5 and the comparatively low production figures (@251,000 rifles and @315,000 bayonets) were what drove the prices up, but I just checked and the production figures for the No7 Bayonet appear just slightly higher and they do not command nearly the prices of the No5 so I am not sure. (production figures from British Small Arms of WW2 Skennerton)

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
The Sterling bayonet will fit the no5, and cost a bit less, but those too aren't as plentiful as they were a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The Sterling bayonet will fit the no5, and cost a bit less, but those too aren't as plentiful as they were a few years ago.
Does the Sterling bayonet have its own designation? The only difference between the two is the lack of a clearing hole in the pommel & having STERLING etched into the blade

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,441 Posts
I remember Springfield Spotters selling these and SVT bayonets for $50 each, back in the '80,s.

·
Registered
603 Posts
What is everyone's opinion on reproduction No. 5 bayonets. How is the workmanship and do they even fit on the gun properly and latch. Are they made of castings?

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Doesn't the No7 bayonet fit as well?
Afraid not as it lacks a mortise for an under-lug. The No7 has the same mortise and catch setup as the No4 and No9 bayonets. The enlarged "muzzle ring" on the No7 is strictly a shoot-through on the crosspiece for the No4 rifle series and the Sten MkV with its barrel mounted bayonet lugs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
OP, IMHO your flash hider has either been replaced or was at some point taken off and put back on. Hard to say. The M47 mark is synonymous with No5 rifles. The price on these has increased a lot over the last decade and because of the handy weight/length of the rifle as well as it's sporter profile/powerful cartridge it has always been popular.

The Brits and other nations that issued No 5 rifles only used them for a short time. They were one of the proposals made to the government of the UK to replace the No1 and No4 rifles they presently had in service which were great rifles but not suitable for many of the tasks placed on them. The No5 did what it was intended to do but supposedly suffered from a wandering zero. Supposedly this is all fallacy and conjecture but in my experience it has proven true when shooting extended strings of shots. I will also admit, because of its reduced weight it handles and points like a dream but the felt recoil is brutal. As you can see, your rifle has a HARD rubber butt pad that fits inside of a stamped metal frame which also acts as a sling point. That pad reduces the size of the butt and recoil is compressed into a smaller area. Also, that butt pad wasn't there to absorb recoil. It was there to save wear and tear on the rifle butt.

The No5 bayonets were put to good use after the rifles were put into long term storage. Many were adapted to fit other firearms such as SMGs etc. Many were sold to nations that purchased the surplus stocks to issue to their troops, such as India/Thailand/Australia.

As far as being handy as a knife, hardly. The grips are to short and the blades are to thick.

This is very brief and a lot more is available on the internet.

India still issues these rifles and still makes the bayonets at RFI. There are or were several US vendors selling these "repro" bayonets. Some are just that, poorly fitting repros. But remember, the Indian government started producing their own as supplies dwindled and if you get one of those, they are usually cruder than the originals or the repros but do fit properly on the lug and over the flash hider.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
What is everyone's opinion on reproduction No. 5 bayonets. How is the workmanship and do they even fit on the gun properly and latch. Are they made of castings?
Used to have pics showing the differences. Where they went is..???
The reproductions vary in quality ranging from a semi-decent looking cheap bayonet copy to a crudely made cheap POS. Mild steel blade, rough pommel, cheaply made wood grips, cast crosspiece, all with variances in the finished work and all metal covered with a soft black paint.

I'll see if I can find some side-by-side pics, but I'm unable to find the dissection of a repro I did years ago. It wasn't pretty.

Tip: Most of the repro's are marked RFI on the ricasso, but a genuine RFI bayonet they are NOT.

**Edit for pics**
Poole on the left, repro on the right: (Notice the undersized grip and the faked RFI marking)

Pommels: Very crude catch with a weak spring on the repro.

British Steel scabbard with brazed stud and flush mouthpiece screw vs. repro "tin" scabbard with staked stud and hardware store screw.
Next pic will show the differences in the mouthpieces, although they are flipped in order from R to L. (British is wearing the frog)

Easy to see and easy to feel when hefted together. One is a bayonet. The other is made from stale cheese. ;)
Hope this helps?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought a couple of No.5s back in 2002 or 3, when they were plentiful. I desperately wanted a bayonet, but none were available at the time. I eventually found a repro at Sarco, I believe. Getting them to ship it was like pulling teeth. Having no other choice, I bought it for $65. It was more than I wanted to spend, but it was the only game in town. Crosspiece & pommel are painted black.

Maybe a little more than a year later I spotted a few for sale. I didn't buy one, but it said "original" bayonet and it was less money than I paid for the knock-off. I don't recall when they started getting expensive, but they used to be pretty cheap.
My knock-off fits and locks up perfectly.It was made in India. I don't know where it is right now, but it seemed a bit short to me. However, it was the only one I had seen, so I have nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I traded a carcano folding bayonet for a No 5, nice and original, except the bayo lug was cut off, 2 years later after many nights on ebay I found one, Now I learn its next to impossible to get the flash hider off. Does anyone know how its done avoiding damage?
A update on the 37mm anti tank carriage gun. Had ATF out to check numbers and they cant find it in the data base, so since no Prior Registration, the breech has to go,, they let me cut it in half so I can build up a plastic one, It only going to the parades, so looking right is the mission,, If anyone is into these let me know to chat more about them

1 - 20 of 24 Posts