Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two parts on JP Springs: Lightened trigger spring sets ($10) and the buffer spring ($19)

First the buffer spring: Truthfully, I have never noticed the spring noise or sensation of the buffer spring that others take note of. I am too fixated on aiming and following the basics of BRASS. However, my buddy out in Minn., member Joop here on GB put in a JP buffer spring and his young daughters are no longer distracted by buffer spring BOING/WHANG . He said the spring smoothed up the operation of his rifle so out of curiosity I ordered one and stuffed it into my Rock River National Match M16a4. The rifle shoots smooth with it in , and you can feel the difference of this spring when you retract the charging handle..that buffer goes to the rear like butter. Does it make me shoot better...I should not think so but there is no recoil impulse felt of buffer moving when firing and its far quieter than a stock spring. If you got heartburn with stock buffer springs distracting you, then maybe get one. If not, its an elective and certainly not a requirement you have to chase after. If you think after reading this you never noticed a buffer spring in operation, then don't chase one of these.

Second: this on JP trigger spring lighten pull spring sets:

Triggers go out of their way to distract me. Just recently I installed two JP reduced trigger spring sets into two identical Anderson AR lower receivers along with two Stag Lower parts kits. You think after all installation, pulls would be same or near same ? No way..one is a glorious 4 pound crisp pull that fires any ammo..Tula,Prvi,Fed, Wc, LC etc. Other identical lower with identical parts...trigger came out so light, it won't fire any ammo..had to stick the Stag hammer spring back in (keeping JP spring on trigger and disconnector) and got a 5 pound no creep pull that is better than most factory pulls by a long shot but hardly the glorious trigger pull of the other receiver/StagLPK and JP spring set. The rifle with 5 pound trigger shoots anything now but its pull really does not come close to the other receiver 's trigger pull.

Trigger Pulls : Its Voo Doo., There is no set solution. Nothing is a "drop in " when it comes to trigger pulls IMHO.

I still think , from my view point , that high end trigger sets are just out of reach to put in all my ARs. However I can improve stock trigger pulls using JP spring sets and have proven that to my satisfaction, Both trigger pulls on these two rifles are far better than stock factory trigger pulls so my efforts and money have achieved my objectives. On the rifles I shoot a lot, the JP spring set is a good investment. On the few that I simply must have a match grade trigger, I find the basic Rock River NM trigger fine on my NM rifle and will buy a Geisselle trigger for my 18" SPR AR carbine.

I don't intend to sink a fortune into triggers and the menu of them out there is overwhelming. They are not cheap and buying the wrong one is a real risk ...I got to feel a trigger before I'll buy it . I am good though with the JP spring set on a few of my rifles, I just wish results were uniform but at $10 a pop, I did significantly improve trigger pulls on the two AR's I put the spring sets into. If you go this route, be prepared to go to Plan B...combination of stock and JP springs to work out a reliable improved trigger pull.

If you are fine with your factory stock trigger pull on your AR: don't chase rainbows, press on !

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I used several sets of JP spring sets with varying results. 1 I put on my LMT MWSE reduced the trigger pull to ~3.5 pounds. Most of the others were only marginal improvements. I eventually replaced all except the one in the LMT MWSE with Geissele triggers.

·
Registered
21,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I chose not to sink $250 (average Geissele trigger cost) per 15 AR's that I own only because its not necessary. It was not cost effective to my needs,, it very well may be cost effective for others.

A better pull on some of my AR's with JP springs: got that on two AR's and good to go with results. Stock triggers on the other AR's in my safe, they are fine with factory triggers for my needs.

Like I said: If you are fine with your factory stock trigger pull on your AR: don't chase rainbows, press on !

If you want / need a Geiselle, just do it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Thanks for the info. on using just the trigger and disconnector spring from the kit, and keeping the hammer spring from the original LPK. I actually have the exact same spring set to install on two separate 18" SPRs using different LPKs (one rifle belongs to a good friend, and with the exception of the LPKs and optics, they're identical). My idea was to use these springs until I researched enough to buy a decent trigger for the SPR whenever they go on sale. Depending on the results, I may test each spring set on both SPR, but I'm sure the difference is on the LPK parts and not the springs (I would imagine it's a lot easier to control the quality on a spring than on a cast, ground, and heated part; don't know).

Cheers, from across the river

·
Registered
21,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I am satisfied with the JP spring set remedy on the few AR's that I wanted a better than stock trigger pull, I am very satisfied with the Rock River Varmint 3.5 pound trigger pull set that cost me $80. I like very well indeed on my SPR. I also like the stock NM trigger Rock River put on my RR National Match Service rifle. I like both triggers. I don't shoot either trigger better which is not very helpful, as I'd like to know what works best.

I had the chance at the big Chantilly Gun show to test a bewildering assortment of stripped AR lowers with the full line of Geisselle (Rolex Watch price tag level) triggers. Could not decide which would be best for me , like them all and that sure was helpful.

I may not be trainable on triggers and I am not going to make a $350 mistake buying just any Geisselle Trigger. If I can't really justify one when a $80 Rock River Varmint trigger seems to work...I just might be totally untrainable and not chase rainbows on triggers.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I look at it as matching the tool to the job. A good aftermarket trigger is a necessity on a match rifle, but will not be as reliable. A two-stage is needed on a prone gun, and a single-stage works better on a "stand-up" gun. So, match rifles wear two-stage Geisselles, service rifles get RR NM triggers, and I like an ALG single-stage on a CAR 15 / M4 type. Don't have a bench AR, but I would likely go with a very light, single-stage modular, with a straight shoe. Your approach to modifying the standard trigger is likely the most cost effective, if you get the desired result. Two thumb rules: 1) the further you deviate from standard, the less reliable the trigger will be, and 2) don't spend more on a trigger than you did on the barrel.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I spent about half on my Gisselle 2-stage for Hogs Bane (the piggin' LR308) as I spent on the Rainier barrel, but I am fine with a 2-stage 4.5# trigger.

Drop in beautifully crisp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.