Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
9,188 Posts

·
Banned
9,188 Posts
As usual 337 nailed it. Believe it or not, people had to be able to sipher that crap after someone wrote it. The key in all of the various scratchings is the lack of the little "tail" on the lower right ;)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have attempted to research this rifle and block and found it APPEARS to be the highest known example for 1940 Sauer production. BBOTW lists the highest known as 5209V and this one is almost 1,300 higher. If there is a higher number or letter block than this one. I would greatly appreciate if someone would let me know. Also, is there a more current source of highest and lowest known serials? I see new highs and lows have been posted here on occasion.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
yea sauer changed to the slot later in 40 than others. i had 8086 u with a slot. i did a survey a couple years ago on the 'other' site on this very issue. not enough info to be conclusive. that sauer is the one on 'mauser rapid fire'. sauers for some reason are smooth as glass with the right bolt.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes, Fraktur, or more accurately, Sütterlin script. It sure makes translating period documents (a Soldbüch, for example) a tad more challenging than modern text.

I'd love to learn to write in it, but it is not easy or natural!

Jeff

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was reading this thread and am wondering if I am missing something - the OP is talking about serial numbers on 1940 Sauer v block rifles: I have a RC that is numbered 7242v - is this an unusually high number? I like my rifle but I never thought it was THAT special. Again, am I missing something? Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was reading this thread and am wondering if I am missing something - the OP is talking about serial numbers on 1940 Sauer v block rifles: I have a RC that is numbered 7242v - is this an unusually high number? I like my rifle but I never thought it was THAT special. Again, am I missing something? Thanks
Not THAT special but kind of neat for data purposes. Just pushes the estimate for total production out by a couple of thousand units. More relevant on the high end than the low.

Neat barrel, is it a replacement? Is there an "0.2" mark on the shank?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.