Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
....Irgun is right about the press, but Tailgunner Joe was a jerk who abused his power as a Senator to smear innocents with innuendo and lie. Ann Coulter is pretty good at smearing too. We've got some pretty good, no, VERY good conservatives to admire. Reagan, Goldwater, Buckley and many more. Why would anyone want to rehabilitate a person like McCarthy who you'd never invite to your home ? Joe was a low life. 'Our Schumer'. I wouldn't let either of them step on my property or pet my dogs.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Three names?

Marshall wasn't "smeared" he was castigated for his lack of intelligence.

Fred Fisher? You mean Fred Friendly? Liberal network honcho and who had it in for anyone who was too anti-communist? And who was a member of the leftist cabal intent on smearing Senator McCarthy?

Eisenhower? He was president wasn't he, at the time? I think most presidents have their critics and can take a little over-the-top criticism.

.....Lets start with The Tailgunner himself. He joined the Marine Corp and served as an intelligence officer in the Solomom Islands and Bougainville. He flew as gunner-observer on twelve missions, but later claim he flew 32 missions because that qualified him for the DFC. He wrote his own commendation letter.
...McCarthy accused George Marshall, Secy of Defense, of " A conspiracy so immense and an infamy so black as to dwarf any previous such venture in the history of man " and said " If Marshall were merely stupid, the laws of probability would dictate that part of his decisions would serve his country's interests. " He accused Marshall of failing to enact his subordinates plan ( Gen. Wedemeyer ) and said " Only in treason can we find why evil genius thwarted and frustrated it. " Those are direct quotes. He did not castigate Marshall for his lack of intelligence. You have been mislead.

...Fred Fisher was the a fellow he smeared in the Army-McCarthy hearings. Do your homework. The smear lead directly to Atty Joseph Welch walking out of the hearings after shaming McCarthy for his actions, and was the start of McCarthy's downfall. If that wasn't in your book, you were MISLEAD and UNINFORMED.

....McCarthy characterized Eisenhowers first year as President as " Treason ". And that's a smear.
...McCarthy hired Roy Cohn and saw that his homosexual lover, David Schine, got favorable treatment from the Army.

...It was the Republicans in the Senate who got fed up with this slimeball and voted 67 to 22 to condemn him on 12-2-54. A Republican, Senator Flanders, of Vermont, brought the charges.
.....McCarthy was a loudmouth jerk. He deserved his ignominy, he earned it and it took way to long to catch up to him. The only reason I can imagine Ms. Coulter endorsing him is that she is a loudmouth jerk herself. You'd be wel advised to seek many sources before you reach conclusions about Joseph McCarthy. The worst things that can be said about him he said himself. And if you think Totalitarians only come from the Left, you, sir, are a moron.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
....I take it you agree with McCarthy that Marshall and Eisenhower were traitors ? Yes, reasonable men can disagree, but reasonable and knowledgeable folks don't remotely think that their political philosophy ( " right wing " ) can't produce totalitarians. That's the moronic part. Perhaps you are unaware of Francisco Franco ?

..." Dave D., You've obviously been influenced by the distorted histories written by leftist historians " --Irgun

......You don't know me, you don't know what I read or what I know. I list direct quotes from your " great American Hero " which show him to be smear artist and a liar. You give me your impertinant opinion of that which you have no knowledge. I'd be happy to disagree with a reasonable man, agreeably. I'll wait until one shows up.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
...Marshall was a patriot and so was Eisenhower. They were not traitors. They played the world hand they were delt as best it could be played. Russia occupied Poland and had 10 divisions to our one in Europe. We could not beat them. If you are not smart or knowledgeable enough to see that, so be it. You keep making bold statements, but when called, change the subject. Go ahead and defend Franco, lots of Faschists do. But he was a totalitarian of the right and you say those don't happen. Of course they do, you are a worm for trying to change the subject when you can't defend your posit. If you can't back up what you claim with FACTS, you ought to post on the doll forum. You weasel, you squirm and you prevaricate. McCarthy was, at BEST, a liar. He never did what he claimed he did. If you want to claim him as your hero, go ahead. But those who have examined what he SAID and what he DID know the truth. He was a weasel and a charlatan. Are you ?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
...Silly me. I thought you posted your " McCarthy was a Hero " thread in order to discuss McCarthy, but instead you only came here to shill for Ms. Coulter's book. I countered with quotes and facts, you had a Rodney King moment and asked why we can't all just get along.
....Good luck peddling the books. I'd suggest door to door, a lot of Britania Encyclopeadias got sold that way. Buy a good dog spray. And concentrate on the migrant neighborhoods where they don't speak much english. Whatever you do, avoid old , establish communities and senior parks, where the residents might have actually seen McCarthy speak on newsreels or on T.V. You won't sell many books there, even discounted. And those old duffers are going to want to talk about your Hero. And , trust me, you are NOT prepared to do that.

...Light enough for you ?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
....OK, I've cooled down. I think you are very wise to expand your wares and peddle Mr. Evans book too. Since your going door to door, why not sell 'em both ! Brilliant marketing device. I'll be listening for the doorbell to ring.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
....Well, there ya go, Irgun. Sold another book ! Since you came here to sell and not to dispute, shouldn't you have posted on the Trader Forum ? With a few keystrokes your fortune awaits you. And it's one hell of a lot easier than shoeleather and gumption, by gum.

.....I think Amazon should be afraid of you....very afraid.

....Aren't we all getting along now ? I think we are !

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I refuse to accept that the histories of that period, written by liberal/leftist McCarthy haters are gospel and unassailable.

Irgun.

.....Well, there is no accounting for taste. If you want to make a smear artist, lying son-of-a-bitch your Hero, who am I to disagree? But you are what you believe in, and of all the folks who REALLY fought the Commies, McCarthy was the low life bedwetter of them all. Admire him at your souls' peril, the tactics he used were those of a manipulating jerk. You can't lay down with dogs without waking up with some of his fleas. Scratch away.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
....Point of order ! Point of order, Mr. Chairman. Actually I did see the Army McCarthy hearings. In 1954 we lived in Visalia , California and it was on ABC, one of the 3 channels our TV got. I was 6 years old and could have cared less, but my folks were avid watchers. What little I remember of the hearings were that they preemted the regular shows that I rushed home from school to see. I was not a happy camper.

Dave, we really need to talk about your toilet-training someday.
QUOTE]

.......Until this moment, Irgun, I never gauged your cruelty or recklessness. Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last ? Have you left no sense of decency ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.