Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,673 Posts
If you watch the hearings, you'll know why "Tailgunner Joe" McCarthy was brought down. He largely did it to himself.

His attacks on Communists in the State Department were not unjustified, State did (and I suspect still does) have a lot of employees who didn't work exclusively for the USA, so to speak. But - he really didn't know who many (if any) of them were and he harmed his case by his scatter-gunning accusations against imagined as well as real villains.

·
100,673 Posts
Well, I WATCHED the Army-McCarthy hearings on TV. Very early example of televised hearings. It is an observable fact that McCarthy was his own worst enemy. I'll have to read Ann's book at some convenient moment and see how well she actually documents her claims for rehabilitation of the villain (he was a politician, you know, and hence presumptively a villain) - but the RECORD is replete with claims that Joe made and then did NOT prove himself able to sustain. That isn't solely a matter of left-wing press distortion, but rather of historical documentation in such places as the Congressional record as well.

What you have to understand is that being right about State having been infiltrated by Commies isn't useful unless you ientify the real infiltrators and don't acuse innocents as well. And just because somebody has been smeared by the left-wing types doesn't mean he was "sans puer et sans reproche".

·
100,673 Posts
....Irgun is right about the press, but Tailgunner Joe was a jerk who abused his power as a Senator to smear innocents with innuendo and lie. Ann Coulter is pretty good at smearing too. We've got some pretty good, no, VERY good conservatives to admire. Reagan, Goldwater, Buckley and many more. Why would anyone want to rehabilitate a person like McCarthy who you'd never invite to your home ? Joe was a low life. 'Our Schumer'. I wouldn't let either of them step on my property or pet my dogs.

Well, we don't keep dogs, but I'd be inclined to think I wouldn't care to have any of our cats claw or bite either one of them - no telling what the kitties might catch as a result. Sure wouldn't care to have social contact with either of them.

·
100,673 Posts
I am NOT going to dive into the requisite volumes of the CR. Got other and more interesting things to do. But if you are truly interested, the hearings are there and you can read them yourself. I did some digging in them forty years ago and will not do it again - much of the stuff is (surprise, surprise) deadly dull. Like mining for gold, got to process tons of ore for that one precious ounce of the yellow metal.

·
100,673 Posts
Ummm - and just what would you have had George Catlett Marshall, or anyone else, do at Yalta other than what was done? Or for that matter in China? As far as Marshall having played a role in Truman's relief of MacArthur - I'd certainly hope he had. I think he probably deserves (as does Omar Nelson Bradley) to be castigated for waiting so long to really start working on Truman to do just that.

Sorry - McCarthy was a worthless POS who actually did more to AID the Communists he claimed to hate and fear than he harmed them. I have wondered if he was just a demagogic drunk or a conscious fellow-traveller on occasion, but malice isn't the high-probability choice in this case, i think (though McCarthy was certainly malicious enough). Mean drunk - like a lot of others I've met over the years.

·
100,673 Posts
I'd say El Caudillo had a LOT of help, not only from patriotic Spaniards, but Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini. I can't say I ever met a Communist I liked or trusted, and I did meet some folks I have reason to believe had been members of the NSDAP that I were both likable and trustworthy - but being anti-Communist doesn't automatically make you a good guy. Joe McCarthy wasn't (a good guy). And whatever the FORMAL: basis for his censure, it happened because of a LOT of other things he'd said and done that made his fellow Senators TIRED of him.

·
100,673 Posts
Actually, I think he did more - he provided a lot of cover for Commie agents by his failures to actually do anything beyond make hysterical claims about how many (how many was it, Joe? yo gave several different suggestions, but which one was it?) without naming anyone except folks who clearly were NOT Communist agents or sympathizers. "Boy who cried wolf" effect, eh?

·
100,673 Posts
A close examination of McCarthy and some critical thinking, a rare commodity today, shows that McCarthy was right. All else is liberal propaganda.

I know that it irritates people to hear the truth, but I've never known Ann Coulter to be wrong; because she footnotes her data with references and facts. Yes, one may take issue with her mannerisms, especially if they suck from same trough as gun grabbing liberals, but she is right. All else is bluster.
Well, Joe was right in claiming there was Commie penetration of our government and some of its agencies. But then, Congressman Martin Dies of Texas had already established that - and succeeded in actually naming names of guilty persons as Joe didn't. Though he pushed things sort of far as well and damaged people who did not deserve it. The man was a real pr*ck and not admirable. But - I have more (not a lot, but more) respect for what he actually did than I do for Joe McCarthy - who failed to actually identify bad guys and injured the investigative process by his grand-standing.

And when I say he was a pr*ck, that is based on not only the record, but on having met him and having been professionally associated with one of his sons (we worked for the same state agency at one time) - who had some stories to tell....

·
100,673 Posts
Then you are aware that those hearings vindicated McCarthy.

The Army-McCarthy hearings were held by the Senate to investigate charges by the Army that McCarthy's Fort Monmouth investigation was an effort by McCarthy to pressure the Army into giving preferential treatment to former McCarthy staffer G. David Schine, who had been drafted.

The background is as follows: In 1952, ten Signal Corps Intelligence Agency (SCIA) officials at the Pentagon, headed by Col. Jim Allen, SCIA executive officer, petitioned Congress to investigate what they charged was pro-Communist infiltration of (and disappearance of classified materials from) SCIA.

Capt. Benjamin Sheehan of G-2 (Army counterintelligence) headed a team ordered by First Army headquarters in New York to investigate “an espionage ring at Fort Monmouth,” N.J. This Army Signal Corps base was the center of activity of the Rosenberg ring, including agents Morton Sobell, Joel Barr, Alfred Sarant, Klaus Fuchs, Harry Gold and David Greenglass. The G-2 probe reported “an immensely large number of employees of questionable loyalty” at the complex.

Maj. Gen. Kirke B. Lawton, base commander of Fort Monmouth, told McCarthy staffer Jim Juliana, an ex-FBI agent, that he had recommended the suspension of 44 security suspects identified by G-2, but that the Army Loyalty and Screening Board had reversed his decisions, clearing all 44, preventing the suspension of a single suspect. Lawton said he got action only after McCarthy opened his Fort Monmouth inquest, testifying in executive session before the McCarthy subcommittee that he had gotten more results in “the last two weeks” than “the past 4 years.” Whistleblowers Allen, Sheehan, Lawton and others were ordered not to cooperate with Congress and threatened with disciplinary measures.

During the course of McCarthy's hearings, influential left-wing gossip columnist Drew Pearson wrote a series of columns arguing that Schine should be drafted into the Army. (Pearson had had success with this tactic some years before, writing a series of columns arguing that HUAC chief investigator Robert Stripling should be drafted, a campaign that culminated in Stripling indeed being drafted.) Schine, who had previously been classified 4F due to a slipped disk in his back, and had served in the Army Transport Service, was now approaching his 26th birthday, upon which he would no longer be eligible for the draft. In the nick of time, Schine was reclassified 1A and drafted. Secretary of the Army Robert Stevens commented that if Schine “hadn't been working for McCarthy, he probably never would have been drafted.”

When McCarthy made it clear that he intended to subpoena the members of the security board that had reversed security suspensions at Fort Monmouth, the White House began circulating rumors that the whole Fort Monmouth inquiry was a sham, cooked up by McCarthy and Cohn to pressure the Army into giving Schine special treatment. Anonymous leaks to that effect began appearing in the columns of Washington journalists such as Joseph Alsop, a great-nephew of Theodore Roosevelt, and thus a blood relative of both Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt.

In its final report on the Army-McCarthy hearings, the Senate concluded that “the investigation at Fort Monmouth was not devised or conducted as a leverage to secure preferential treatment for G. David Schine,” but rather that Secretary Stevens and Army counsel John Adams “made efforts to terminate or influence the investigation and hearings at Fort Monmouth,” adding that Adams “made vigorous and diligent efforts when the subpoenas were issued for the Army Loyalty and Screening Board to halt this action by means of personal appeals to certain members of this committee.”
Umm, no I don't recall Tail-gunner Joe being "vindicated". in fact, i recall that the Senate censured him...

·
100,673 Posts
To recap, Schine had previously served in the Army Transport Service, and was now a 26-year old Harvard graduate; in the normal course of events, a draftee with such qualifications would have been automatically commissioned as a Second Lieutenant. But Schine was no ordinary draftee: Williams doesn't mention Secretary of the Army Robert Stevens' observation that if Schine “hadn't been working for McCarthy, he probably never would have been drafted.” When he was denied a commission, Cohn was understandably concerned that Schine may have been the victim of anti-Semitic discrimination, not unheard-of in the military in the 1950s..

Commision under such circumstances would hardly ahve been automatic. High probability of a draftee with those qualifications being accepted for OCS (actually, would probably have been solicited to apply for OCS), but he'd have to ask and then pass the board - and succeeed in passing the course. And of course, agree to serve the additional time....

The problem with citing Venona to justify Tailgunner Joe's reckless claims is - (1) he had no access to the program or its take; (2) he never anmed names to support his allegations. IF he knew who the Commies 9who clearly existed) were, name them. In fact, he didn't and just guess about where they might be and how many. He was a viillain.

·
100,673 Posts
To recap, Schine had previously served in the Army Transport Service, and was now a 26-year old Harvard graduate; in the normal course of events, a draftee with such qualifications would have been automatically commissioned as a Second Lieutenant. But Schine was no ordinary draftee: Williams doesn't mention Secretary of the Army Robert Stevens' observation that if Schine “hadn't been working for McCarthy, he probably never would have been drafted.” When he was denied a commission, Cohn was understandably concerned that Schine may have been the victim of anti-Semitic discrimination, not unheard-of in the military in the 1950s..

Commision under such circumstances would hardly ahve been automatic. High probability of a draftee with those qualifications being accepted for OCS (actually, would probably have been solicited to apply for OCS), but he'd have to ask and then pass the board - and succeeed in passing the course. And of course, agree to serve the additional time....

The problem with citing Venona to justify Tailgunner Joe's reckless claims is - (1) he had no access to the program or its take; (2) he never anmed names to support his allegations. IF he knew who the Commies 9who clearly existed) were, name them. In fact, he didn't and just guess about where they might be and how many. He was a viillain.

·
100,673 Posts
Nassau, I'm not sure how to respond to that. My personal preference runs to the single envelopment, with a strong base of fire from 155mm and fixed and rotary wing support stacked above.
And, I'll bet, when you could get it, 16" support from a BB...

·
100,673 Posts
Am;
Sponging off the folk. Remember the whole single-parent thing. His father-figure has gone from Grandad (whose retirement he has whittled away) to a Holocaust-denying ubber-Libertarian (OK, a neo-Nazi "anarchist") to an Austrian School economist that every Conservative talking-head rightfully mentions, some for years. Mauser-illiterate, a four-year-plan Community College grad who didn't even understand I wasn't talking about him earlier, has never actually read Mises just as no-one in Washington reads Smith's The Wealth of Nations (published in 1776 BTW) or de Tocqueville's Democracy in America, but cite them for credibility...

I suspect Sen. McCarthy's history is too controversial such that the positive parts of his inquiries won't be a foundation of credence. I do hope, however, that the next leader of, I can only pray, a reinstated HUAC after the 2010 elections will be an historic figure who will help sweep the nation clean with the new broom Americans are making for him or her now...

Alden

PS: The jury is still out on McCarthy, but MB and this anti-gun leftwingnut plant Stark? Villains!
Well, I hope that a new HUAC will have better leader than Martin Dies, Jr.. Better in several ways. But bless his East Texas heart, he did want good things for the USofA.

·
100,673 Posts
South Africa during the late apartheid era (notice I used the term "aparthied-era South Africa work on your reading comprehension Hairball) was engaged in destabilizing other countries, had a nuclear program whose only viable use would have been on their own population and had plans to use gas on them as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Coast. They were bad, bad people doing bad things to their countrymen, and yet we stood by and let them, same with the Shah in Iran and Pinochet in Chile. Humanitarianism plays little part in US foreign policy.
PLANS - not actions. And we hardly stood by the South Africans. American actions went far to force the changes that allowed Communist domination of the "majority" government now in power. And ANY government that makes altruism the hall-mark of its foreign policy is going to do little but hurt itself and others. Self-interest is a a much safer - for everybody - principle.

·
100,673 Posts
Off the top of my head, the first king of iraq was Faisal, correct? Young, overthrown in 1958?
First king was Faisal, but he wasn't young. In fact he was an al Hashemi, from Mecca and was the leader of one of the Arab Revolt factions - the one T.E. lawrence was involved with in fact. And one that lost out in the internecine Arab fuss to get control of what became Saudi Arabia and Mecca.

Emir Faisal, leader of the Arab revolt against the Ottoman sultān during the Great War, and member of the Sunni Hashimite family from Mecca, became the first king of the new state.
King Faisal I was succeeded by his son Ghazi in December 1933. King Ghazi's reign lasted five and a half years. He claimed Iraqi sovereignty over Kuwait. An avid amateur racer, the king drove his car into a lamppost and died 3 April 1939. His son Faisal followed him to the throne.

King Faisal II (1935 – 1958) was the only son of King Ghazi I and Queen `Aliyah. The new king was four when his father died. His uncle 'Abd al-Ilah became regent (April 1939 – May 1953).
In 1945, Iraq joined the United Nations and became a founding member of the Arab League. At the same time, the Kurdish leader Mustafa Barzani led a rebellion against the central government in Baghdad. After the failure of the uprising Barzani and his followers fled to the Soviet Union. Some will recall that Barzanis ae still active in Kurdish politics.....

Iraq signed the Baghdad Pact in 1956, when Faisal II was only 21. It allied Iraq, Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, and the United Kingdom. Its headquarters were in Baghdad. The Pact constituted a direct challenge to Egyptian president Gamal Abdal Nasser. In response, Nasser launched a media campaign that challenged the legitimacy of the Iraqi monarchy.

In February 1958, King Hussein of Jordan and `Abd al-Ilāh proposed a union of Hāshimite monarchies to counter the recently formed Egyptian-Syrian union. The prime minister Nuri as-Said wanted Kuwait to be part of the proposed Arab-Hāshimite Union. The Kuwaiti's were willing to discuss the matter, but before any conclusion waa reached (it is to be noted that the British oppoed any such joinder), the Nasserite-inspired revolt by officers from the Nineteenth Brigade known as "Free Officers", under the leadership of Brigadier Abd al-Karīm Qāsim (known as "az-Za`īm", 'the leader') and Colonel Abdul Salam Arif overthrew the Hashimite monarchy on 14 July 1958. King Faisal II and `Abd al-Ilāh were executed in the gardens of ar-Rihāb Palace. Their bodies (and those of many others in the royal family) were displayed in public. Nuri as-Said (prime minister) evaded capture for one day, but after attempting to escape disguised as a veiled woman, he was caught and shot. Faisal II was still pretty young, just 32 or 33 - and his cousin the HAshemite King of Jordan noted what happened and made sure the same did NOT happen to him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.