Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 382 Posts

·
Banned
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I wrote a ferocious defense of Sen. Joe McCarthy in Treason: Liberal Treachery From the Cold War to the War on Terrorism, liberals chose not to argue with me. Instead they posted a scrolling series of reasons not to read my book, such as that I wear short skirts, date boys, and that Treason was not a scholarly tome.

After printing rabidly venomous accounts of McCarthy for half a century based on zero research, liberals would only accept research presenting an alternative view of McCarthy that included, as the Los Angeles Times put it, at least the "pretense of scholarly throat-clearing and objectivity."

This week, they got it. The great M. Stanton Evans has finally released Blacklisted by History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America's Enemies. Based on a lifetime's work, including nearly a decade of thoroughgoing research, stores of original research and never-before-seen government files, this 672-page book ends the argument on Joe McCarthy. Look for it hidden behind stacks of Bill Clinton's latest self-serving book at a bookstore near you.

Evans' book is such a tour de force that liberals are already preparing a "yesterday's news" defense -- as if they had long ago admitted the truth about McCarthy. Yes, and they fought shoulder to shoulder with Ronald Reagan to bring down the Evil Empire. Thus, Publishers Weekly preposterously claims that "the history Evans relates is already largely known, if not fully accepted." Somebody better tell George Clooney.

The McCarthy period is the Rosetta stone of all liberal lies. It is the textbook on how they rewrite history -- the sound chamber of liberal denunciations, their phony victimhood as they demean and oppress their enemies, their false imputation of dishonesty to their opponents, their legalization of every policy dispute, their ability to engage in lock-step shouting campaigns, and the black motives concealed by their endless cacophony.

The true story of Joe McCarthy, told in meticulous, irrefutable detail in Blacklisted by History, is that from 1938 to 1946, the Democratic Party acquiesced in a monstrous conspiracy being run through the State Department, the military establishment, and even the White House to advance the Soviet cause within the U.S. government.

In the face of the Democrats' absolute refusal to admit to their fecklessness, fatuity and recklessness in allowing known Soviet spies to penetrate the deepest levels of government, McCarthy demanded an accounting.

Even if one concedes to on-the-one-hand-on-the-other-hand whiners like Ronald Radosh that Truman's Secretary of State Dean Acheson didn't like communism, his record is what it was. And that record was to treat Soviet spies like members of the Hasty Pudding Club.

Rather than own up to their moral blindness to Soviet espionage, Democrats fired up the liberal slander machine, which would be deployed again and again over the next half century to the present day. In hiding their own perfidy, liberals were guilty of every sin they lyingly imputed to McCarthy. There were no "McCarthyites" until liberals came along.

Blacklisted by History proves that every conventional belief about McCarthy is wrong, including:

-- That he lied about his war service: He was a tailgunner in World War II;

-- That he was a drunk: He would generally nurse a single drink all night;

-- That he made the whole thing up: He produced loads of Soviet spies in government jobs;

-- That he just did it for political gain: He understood perfectly the godless evil of communism.

Ironically, for all of their love of conspiracy theories -- the rigging of the 2000 election, vote suppression in Ohio in 2004, 9/11 being an inside job, oil companies covering up miracle technology that would allow cars to run on dirt, Britney Spears' career, etc., etc. -- when presented with an actual conspiracy of Soviet spies infiltrating the U.S. government, they laughed it off like world-weary skeptics and dedicated themselves to slandering Joe McCarthy.

Then as now, liberals protect themselves from detection with wild calumnies against anybody who opposes them. They have no interest in -- or aptitude for -- persuasion. Their goal is to anathematize their enemies. Blacklisted by History removes the curse from one of the greatest patriots in American history.

Ann Coulter.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,247 Posts
If you watch the hearings, you'll know why "Tailgunner Joe" McCarthy was brought down. He largely did it to himself.

His attacks on Communists in the State Department were not unjustified, State did (and I suspect still does) have a lot of employees who didn't work exclusively for the USA, so to speak. But - he really didn't know who many (if any) of them were and he harmed his case by his scatter-gunning accusations against imagined as well as real villains.

·
Banned
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Clyde, your bones of contention with Senator McCarthy are dealt with in Ann's book and what comes up short is what we have been fed down through the years, as presented and historialized by an obnoxious and left-wing partisan press from that time.

·
100,247 Posts
Well, I WATCHED the Army-McCarthy hearings on TV. Very early example of televised hearings. It is an observable fact that McCarthy was his own worst enemy. I'll have to read Ann's book at some convenient moment and see how well she actually documents her claims for rehabilitation of the villain (he was a politician, you know, and hence presumptively a villain) - but the RECORD is replete with claims that Joe made and then did NOT prove himself able to sustain. That isn't solely a matter of left-wing press distortion, but rather of historical documentation in such places as the Congressional record as well.

What you have to understand is that being right about State having been infiltrated by Commies isn't useful unless you ientify the real infiltrators and don't acuse innocents as well. And just because somebody has been smeared by the left-wing types doesn't mean he was "sans puer et sans reproche".

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
....Irgun is right about the press, but Tailgunner Joe was a jerk who abused his power as a Senator to smear innocents with innuendo and lie. Ann Coulter is pretty good at smearing too. We've got some pretty good, no, VERY good conservatives to admire. Reagan, Goldwater, Buckley and many more. Why would anyone want to rehabilitate a person like McCarthy who you'd never invite to your home ? Joe was a low life. 'Our Schumer'. I wouldn't let either of them step on my property or pet my dogs.

·
100,247 Posts
....Irgun is right about the press, but Tailgunner Joe was a jerk who abused his power as a Senator to smear innocents with innuendo and lie. Ann Coulter is pretty good at smearing too. We've got some pretty good, no, VERY good conservatives to admire. Reagan, Goldwater, Buckley and many more. Why would anyone want to rehabilitate a person like McCarthy who you'd never invite to your home ? Joe was a low life. 'Our Schumer'. I wouldn't let either of them step on my property or pet my dogs.

Well, we don't keep dogs, but I'd be inclined to think I wouldn't care to have any of our cats claw or bite either one of them - no telling what the kitties might catch as a result. Sure wouldn't care to have social contact with either of them.

·
Banned
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to see a list of names of the "smear(ed) innocents" please.

Also i'd appreciate the citing of which page and paragraph of the congressional record for it's "historical documentation" of these matters, please.

Dave D., you've obviously been influenced by the distorted histories written by leftist historians relying on then current left-wing press accounts regarding Senator McCarthy. Read Ann's book then get back to me.

Hey guys, i don't want to fight, i just want the true record set straight about a great American hero.

Irgun.

·
100,247 Posts
I am NOT going to dive into the requisite volumes of the CR. Got other and more interesting things to do. But if you are truly interested, the hearings are there and you can read them yourself. I did some digging in them forty years ago and will not do it again - much of the stuff is (surprise, surprise) deadly dull. Like mining for gold, got to process tons of ore for that one precious ounce of the yellow metal.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I'd like to see a list of names of the "smear(ed) innocents" please.

Also i'd appreciate the citing of which page and paragraph of the congressional record for it's "historical documentation" of these matters, please.

Dave D., you've obviously been influenced by the distorted histories written by leftist historians relying on then current left-wing press accounts regarding Senator McCarthy. Read Ann's book then get back to me.

Hey guys, i don't want to fight, i just want the true record set straight about a great American hero.

Irgun.
John Henry Faulk made a career out of his blacklisting and turned the anger and rage of those years into involvement with causes which espoused liberty for all instead of the fear-mongering espoused by the right wing. I recall that the late University of Utah political science professor J.D. Williams had classes watch the McCarthy hearings and thereby increased both the Democratic Party and the ACLU in Utah.

·
Banned
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Three names?

Marshall wasn't "smeared" he was castigated for his lack of intelligence.

Fred Fisher? You mean Fred Friendly? Liberal network honcho and who had it in for anyone who was too anti-communist? And who was a member of the leftist cabal intent on smearing Senator McCarthy?

Eisenhower? He was president wasn't he, at the time? I think most presidents have their critics and can take a little over-the-top criticism.

·
Banned
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"...espoused liberty for all instead of the fear-mongering espoused by the right wing."

I mean, really, this is barely worthy of comment. I'd venture to posit that 90% of Gunboards members consider themselves to be "right wing". This is another example of the way in which the leftists have brainwashed people into believing that the true patriots and fighters for liberty are really "fear mongers". Poppycock! It is the Left that are the true totalitarians not the patriots of the Right.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Three names?

Marshall wasn't "smeared" he was castigated for his lack of intelligence.

Fred Fisher? You mean Fred Friendly? Liberal network honcho and who had it in for anyone who was too anti-communist? And who was a member of the leftist cabal intent on smearing Senator McCarthy?

Eisenhower? He was president wasn't he, at the time? I think most presidents have their critics and can take a little over-the-top criticism.

.....Lets start with The Tailgunner himself. He joined the Marine Corp and served as an intelligence officer in the Solomom Islands and Bougainville. He flew as gunner-observer on twelve missions, but later claim he flew 32 missions because that qualified him for the DFC. He wrote his own commendation letter.
...McCarthy accused George Marshall, Secy of Defense, of " A conspiracy so immense and an infamy so black as to dwarf any previous such venture in the history of man " and said " If Marshall were merely stupid, the laws of probability would dictate that part of his decisions would serve his country's interests. " He accused Marshall of failing to enact his subordinates plan ( Gen. Wedemeyer ) and said " Only in treason can we find why evil genius thwarted and frustrated it. " Those are direct quotes. He did not castigate Marshall for his lack of intelligence. You have been mislead.

...Fred Fisher was the a fellow he smeared in the Army-McCarthy hearings. Do your homework. The smear lead directly to Atty Joseph Welch walking out of the hearings after shaming McCarthy for his actions, and was the start of McCarthy's downfall. If that wasn't in your book, you were MISLEAD and UNINFORMED.

....McCarthy characterized Eisenhowers first year as President as " Treason ". And that's a smear.
...McCarthy hired Roy Cohn and saw that his homosexual lover, David Schine, got favorable treatment from the Army.

...It was the Republicans in the Senate who got fed up with this slimeball and voted 67 to 22 to condemn him on 12-2-54. A Republican, Senator Flanders, of Vermont, brought the charges.
.....McCarthy was a loudmouth jerk. He deserved his ignominy, he earned it and it took way to long to catch up to him. The only reason I can imagine Ms. Coulter endorsing him is that she is a loudmouth jerk herself. You'd be wel advised to seek many sources before you reach conclusions about Joseph McCarthy. The worst things that can be said about him he said himself. And if you think Totalitarians only come from the Left, you, sir, are a moron.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,242 Posts
McCarthy himself never unearthed a single real communist agent. The USSR intelligence networks had already been wiped out by the FBI, helped by HUAC investigators, well before McCarthy started his Senate hearings. McCarthy just jumped on the communism issue to support his political career.
Read the history of the Alger Hiss case, broken by HUAC, and of the Venona intercepts that revealed Communist penetration of the Roosevelt Administration and Congress before you make any claims that McCarthy did anything but ride on the coattails of the real defenders of the USA against subversion and Soviet intelligence. Starting in WWII the FBI began to roll up the Soviet intelligence and US Communist party networks, well before McCarthy got into politics.
The anti-American left has labeled anti-communism as "McCarthyism" and used McCarthy's bumbling to smear anyone opposed to Communism because he was such an easy target and such a failure.

Read:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375755365/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/103-5256439-9503801
http://www.amazon.com/Alger-Hisss-L.../0195153456/ref=sid_dp_dp/103-5256439-9503801
http://www.amazon.com/Denial-Histor...088X/ref=pd_sim_b_title_3/103-5256439-9503801

·
Banned
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fred Fisher not Fred Friendly. Got it.

Fred Fisher was a member of the National Lawyers Guild, an organization named by the then current Attorney General as "the legal bulwark of the Communist Party". And this at time when the CPUSA was a defacto arm of the Soviet intelligence service.

·
Banned
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dave D., why did you so quickly resort to name calling?

Can not reasonable men disagree reasonably?

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
....I take it you agree with McCarthy that Marshall and Eisenhower were traitors ? Yes, reasonable men can disagree, but reasonable and knowledgeable folks don't remotely think that their political philosophy ( " right wing " ) can't produce totalitarians. That's the moronic part. Perhaps you are unaware of Francisco Franco ?

..." Dave D., You've obviously been influenced by the distorted histories written by leftist historians " --Irgun

......You don't know me, you don't know what I read or what I know. I list direct quotes from your " great American Hero " which show him to be smear artist and a liar. You give me your impertinant opinion of that which you have no knowledge. I'd be happy to disagree with a reasonable man, agreeably. I'll wait until one shows up.

·
Banned
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave, you are wound way too tight. You need to loosen up a little.

As to poor ol' George Marshall; he supported enormous consessions to Stalin at Yalta, including turning over Poland to the USSR. He helped consign a billion people to a totalitarian dungeon in China and he played a central role in Truman's firing of General MacArthur. McCarthy never called Marshall a traitor, a communist or a coward. He simply detailed Marshall's record.

1 - 20 of 382 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.