Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question
I purchased a very nice 1895 Nagant, 1901 dated Tula from a member of the forum and was searching the forum for the correct WWI holster and lanyard, I saw the post relating to these but no pictures, I was wondering if you could post a picture of these for me.
I due WWI reenacting as a WWI Frenchman with the GWHS, I will be going to CA here in July for Old Ft.MacArthur Days setting up a WWI French display as well and with another member weapons of the war where we display the pistol as well as my 1917 dated Mosin Nagant Rifle and would like to see if I can get a correct lanyard and holster for it.
I bought a very nice reproduction WWII leather holster from a seller on Ebay and found in my drawer of goodies a WWII Japanese reproduction lanyard made by MrNambu, one with sliding keeper which will fit around the neck or shoulder. I know that these are not original but I believe close enough for the display until I can find some original ones.
Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
First the lanyards.
The sliding loop lanyard is wrong for WWI. It would be for earlier up to probably 1912.
Here is a picture of an early rig.

This is a rig consisting of an early lanyard and a 1912 holster. (1901 dated revolver) These were used until at least 1905. They different regiments used different colors on parade.

In about 1905 a braided leather lanyard was introduced. This early version was attached to the shoulder board on the uniform. It consisted of a braided leather strap and a brass snap on the end.

Here is a 1905 model lanyard (the holster is later, but pre 1932.

A picture of a period soldier wearing a shoulder board lanyard.

1912 new specifiacations were issued. The infantry officers rig is shown. The lanyard is a braided leather strap with snaps on both ends that attached to one of the suspension straps.
Enlisted men were still using a neck strap of braided leather going into WWI

During WWI the lanyard was changed to attach to the belt. It became a leather strap with a loop on one end and a tongue and buckle arrangement on the pistol end.

1915 (?) model lanyard. These were used until 1922 when it was replaced with a loop and snap model.

1922 lanyard specification

Holsters

Early holsters are very poorly documented. There are rumors of an early Nagant holster with 7 cartrige loops like the older S&W holsters.

Smith and Wesson holster

Early holsters did not have divided cartridge pouches, this seems to have been introduced just before WWI. Officer's holsters did not have cleaning rod loops. Additionally, many of the pre 1922 holsters are "left handed". The revolver was always carried on the right side, but troops needing to carry a shashka or something else in their right hand, carried the revolver butt forward. The major variations that can be documented are the 1912 and 1915. (1915 is my arbitrary designation for it because the earliest one I've seen was dated 1915).

1912 holster specification

1912 holster - pre 1932 holsters have a separate plug piece at thebottom of the barrel tube.

more ...
Joe

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You very much for the information ...
I have a lanyard that looks exactly like the diagram of the 1922 lanyard specification that came with the revolver, I will use that one. Both the loop end and O-ring are sewn, not riveted like most I have seen.
The holster I have is close enough to the 1912 holster, it has different back straps on it but will display better than the post-WWII holster.
Now I will try to find a correct holster and early type lanyard for it.
Thank You again
Patrick

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Here is the last for this piece. The 1915 is relatively hard to find and most that I've seen are "left handed".

1915 holsters courtesy Heinrich Harder

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts