Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just posting because the excellent Type 99 book lists the lowest serial number with the 0 stamp, indicating accepted under war time standards as being in the 50,000 range. This example is matching, no refinishing, still staked and significantly earlier; in the 33,000 range. Either it was made earlier, rejected, and then accepted later; or they were applying the war time standard earlier in the series. Sorry about picture quality, it doesn't focus well up close. The O mark is on the receiver right in front of the roughness (this is defective manufacture, not corrosion; and perhaps the reason for the 0 mark). The 0 mark is also on the stock, below the bolt stop. Hole for the cylinder for the short cleaning rod is somewhat crudely filled with some sort of filler; the cap on the two screw front band is not drilled for a cleaning rod.
Antique tool
Product Antique tool
Gun Shotgun Trigger
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a Jinsen with an interesting story. I bought it from a WW2 Vet who served in the Okinawa invasion, and mop-up on Mindoro in the Phillipines with the 96th Infantry Div. When war ended his unit was sent to South Korea, there to await separation. While in Korea his unit drew numbers for war souvenirs and was told they came from the arsenal at Jinsen. There were Nambu pistols, swords, and rifles in the lot which came to his unit and he "won" a Type 99 which proved to be a Jinsen. When I somehow find the time I'll take close-ups of the gun and try to gather more info on it. The rifle is not for sale at this time, just thought it is an interesting story.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,303 Posts
I'd like to know if any Jinsen T-99s made it out to the Pacific theater or did they all stay on the mainland? I'm leaning toward the latter right now and that's why I don't collect them. I like the stuff that was actually used against us in the Pacific.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.