Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(cross-posted on SKS Boards)

O.K. Here it goes. Bear with me, I'm bending the limb to the point of breaking....

I have never seen an example of a 1 million series Factory /26\. Does it mean they don't exist? Yes? No? But in the tens, and possibly hundreds of thousands of pictures of SKS's that I've viewed, nary an example has surfaced. Even Yooper John has that 1 million serial number conspicuously absent on his fine and comprehensive website.

I don't think they exist at all. There. I said it.

So, for what we have all and always considered - "any number under 1 million is a 1956" - is open to great scrutiny at this juncture, IMO. The recent batch of Century imports has not produced a single 1 million serialed specimen. And this event was likely a "best shot" at finding one, out of the significant batch of Early Chinese Type-56 SKS's. It didn't happen.

My thoughts?

1. Earliest Chinese had serial numbers only. Up to six digits, and no Arsenal stamp. 1956
2. Sino-Soviets were next. Letter, followed by four (rarely five) numbers. /26\ Arsenal stamp. 1956
3. Under one million serial, /26\ Arsenal stamp. 1957!
3. Two million serial, /26\ Arsenal stamp. 1958

(four and five million serials also have no recorded examples, to my knowledge. Hmm...)

4. Six million serial, /26\ Arsenal stamp. 1962
5. Etc.

What say you? Could this be a new way of viewing these mysterious aged carbines? Or, am I just all wet!

All opinions and criticisms are very welcome.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Seems like i remember the 4 and 5 series was 1960 and 1961. Also seems like i read the concentrated on the T53 during those years, supposedly for the local remote guard unit/local militias/remote stations. Ill try to see if i can find where i read that and post a link.

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
Only ture way would be seeing Chinese government document that spell out what was made and when. But I'll follow along with the theories proposed. I'd love to have a six digit sino soviet. I got a 2 million serialed chinese gun with the recent imports.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I believe that #s 1 & 2 are backwards. This is based on the premise that soviet assistance was given to initially set up production of the SKS, therefore soviet parts, gauges, fixtures, proofs, & type of serial numbers(alpha-numerical) were used first. Then the Chinese did it their way. Same with Chinese AK mags, first Russian pattern ribbed back mags(copy), then, a hybrid of Yugo & soviet design, lastly, the Yugo inspired mag w/o rib.

Unless the Chinese screwed up production so badly that the soviets came in & straightened them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts