Gunboards Forums banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
If anyone has a KBI import SVD that they would like to trade for a mint condition Soviet Military SVD with comparable kit to what comes with the KBI send me a PM. Would buy the KBI as well. I'm not a member of Sturmgewehr forums is BORE on here?

·
Gold Bullet Member
618 Posts
If anyone has a KBI import SVD that they would like to trade for a mint condition Soviet Military SVD with comparable kit to what comes with the KBI send me a PM. Would buy the KBI as well. I'm not a member of Sturmgewehr forums is BORE on here?
where ya located ? I have a kbi , boxed with all........test fired a little and moth balled .....its in PA

i may consider selling as i look to get a new GT-500 😂😂😂

·
Gold Bullet member
13,898 Posts
Just saw this old thread. The reason KBI’s go for so much as they are basically the only LEGAL russian SVD you can own here unless you have a papered bring back. There are plenty that got brought back the last couple of decades but those are all technically illegal . One for not being properly imported And 2 is the safety sear issue. Much like the PWA Yugo m76 snipers that were recalled by ATF.

When I first got my C&R, probably in the early 80s, the licensee was OK to import a firearm. I wonder if any came in that way and there was no clear requirement for such an import to be marked.

Does anyone know when the last OK US military bring backs ended? IIRC, they were not OK for Gulf war one but I did see two Russian Maks that were supposed to be bring backs over the years. How about diplomats and their embassy guards? One SF guy in my company was such a guard for a while but I hear of many Marines used as such.

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I first got my C&R, probably in the early 80s, the licensee was OK to import a firearm. I wonder if any came in that way and there was no clear requirement for such an import to be marked.

Does anyone know when the last OK US military bring backs ended? IIRC, they were not OK for Gulf war one but I did see two Russian Maks that were supposed to be bring backs over the years. How about diplomats and their embassy guards? One SF guy in my company was such a guard for a while but I hear of many Marines used as such.
There has never been any official DoD policy banning military bring backs so far as I am aware. There has been a cultural change in the officer corps since the 1990s such that no commander will sign off on the paperwork now. I have seen quite a lot of bring back weapons from the GWOT era however, and certain special operations units were so permissive as to essentially permit bring backs provided no one was too blatant about it.

As far as the SVD goes the safety sear is a nonissue since the fire control group is totally different from an AK’s. All the KBI dragunovs that were imported have it. While it serves the same purpose on an AK (preventing the hammer dropping when the bolt is out of battery) the SVD has a freely moving trigger lever that interacts with the main sear. This is struck by the hammer every time the hammer moves to the rear and disconnected from the main sear. There is no way to make an SVD a machinegun without substantial alteration and/or fabrication of components in the FCG.

·
Registered
664 Posts
"Does anyone know when the last OK US military bring backs ended? IIRC, they were not OK for Gulf war one but I did see two Russian Maks that were supposed to be bring backs over the years. How about diplomats and their embassy guards? One SF guy in my company was such a guard for a while but I hear of many Marines used as such."

I believe it was the operation on Grenada since I've seen a few documented guns. However, when I went to Panama for Just Cause in in '89, nothing was authorized for bring back. I think some NG units early in the GWOT did get some stuff back but of all of the items I seen and acquired none had paperwork.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I just recently posted a full thread over on the Collector’s forum on GWOT bring backs:

81 - 88 of 88 Posts