Gunboards Forums banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks for the history. Interesting.

If they are calling you it's because they want it to add some zest to one of their auctions. I have heard that auction houses will forego the seller's premium if you have something that they want to feature so in this case you might be able to get them to do that. Can't hurt to ask.
This very topic was recently much discussed in connection with another very rare item recently sold at auction by RIA. And yes, it is true, that if they want your high value item for their glossy brochure that is published long before the auction catalog in order to increase overall interest in the auction, you can definitely negotiate down the seller's premium, sometimes to zero. The buyer's premium in such cases more than covers all of RIA's costs that are usually covered by the combined buyer's and seller's premiums, and still leaves lots of profit for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the history. Interesting.

If they are calling you it's because they want it to add some zest to one of their auctions. I have heard that auction houses will forego the seller's premium if you have something that they want to feature so in this case you might be able to get them to do that. Can't hurt to ask.
Thanks. I'll try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had a thought. Cousin Bob paid $4500 for his SVD and now they are selling at auction for $33,000 (including buyer's premium). That's a 7.3 times price gain. I bought a KBI import SKS in about the same time frame for $90 at a gun show. They are selling for $7-800 now, call it $750. That's an 8.3 times gain.

Sorry Bob but you would have been better off buying 50 SKSs than one SVD. Of course you would have to store a lot more guns and the cool factor would be less but together they would be worth about $37,500 now. Not that you made a bad choice, far from it because the SVD is easier to store and much cooler to see, it just shows how much everything has gone up since the "the good old days".

Just a random observation.
Skoda,
Thanks for the 'observation'.
However, as an FFL Dealer we were buying SKS's at that time from Century Arms. Our dealer cost on a NIB SKS was averaging $250.00. We were also buying M1 Carbines for $325.00, and SVT-40's for $275.00. ---- I still have some of them. The thing about those was there were thousands of them available. There were only 100 of the SVD Dragonov's. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I still have the receipt and box for my first SKS, it was a KBI Russian that I got at a gun show from a 'kitchen table' dealer for $90 in 1993. I really didn't want an SKS because 'they were commie junk' but for $90 I couldn't pass it up. I wised up and bought others later on for much more of course. I also bought an SVT-40 for $212 shipped to my door in 1994 and sold it for $200 two years later - I can't kick my own ass enough for that decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I still have the receipt and box for my first SKS, it was a KBI Russian that I got at a gun show from a 'kitchen table' dealer for $90 in 1993. I really didn't want an SKS because 'they were commie junk' but for $90 I couldn't pass it up. I wised up and bought others later on for much more of course. I also bought an SVT-40 for $212 shipped to my door in 1994 and sold it for $200 two years later - I can't kick my own ass enough for that decision.
:ROFLMAO:
If we only had as much foresight as we do hindsight we would all be very rich!!!
:p

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Hello Skoda,
From what I understand, these were ordered by KBI/Eagle Exim in 1994 before the import ban. (I suppose if they knew they were going to be banned they would have ordered more than 100?) I guess the original order was only for 100 due to the relatively high cost per rifle at the time?
They were shipped to the US and were in customs when the foreign military weapons ban passed. The BATFE was holding them because of the ban, but since they were already in US territory KBI was fighting for their release. I am a Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer. While they were in customs I got a call from a friend telling me that these might be released and did I want to buy any. I contacted Eagle Exim, sent them a copy of my FFL and a 50% down payment to hold one in case they were released. KBI won their fight, and I got one of the 100. As I mentioned, my cost on it was $4,514.50. They were all pre-sold before KBI won their fight to get them released, so there wasn't much chance to get any more! They were produced in 1994 and I prepaid for it in mid 94; I received it January 7th 1995.
I'm 75 years old, I'm not going to shoot it, so I'm thinking about letting it go.

RIA heard that I have it and they have been calling me and emailing me to get their hands on it. I don't think it's fair to a collector to have to pay a $5,000.00 premium for some middle guy to facilitate a sale! So I don't know what I'm going to do.
Regards,
Cousin Bob
Well, Cousin Bob, congratulations. I think that price from GB auction sets the new record...

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Wow. I’ll leave it here for when it disappears from GB chronology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I wonder what happened with the second listing? It just got ended. Did the seller realize he’s off by 4k? Or someone purchased it off of GB?

·
Gold Bullet member
12,083 Posts
Wow. I’ll leave it here for when it disappears from GB chronology

Wow is right! Please post a link to the auction if you can.

Thanks!

·
Gold Bullet member
12,083 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes, congratulations Bob. You did really, really well on that one. I bet that you are on Cloud 9 right now. You can buy a decent car for that amount but you could not have bought a decent car for the $4500 back in 1995. And you paid $10 shipping from California to Pennsylvania. That alone is incredible.

Obviously a very serious and affluent collector bought it. As these get sold off to those kinds of folk the remaining in the hands of average guys dwindles further making them even harder to find.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Than you for posting the info.....two just sold a KBI was 32k isc might have been more cannot remember on GB and this one posted a bring back.....

To the other post.....both rifles are out of service production, as in not being made anymore.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts